Sunday, February 25, 2018

Quiet weekend...

Sully was sporting a beard yesterday. His "other Grandma Lisa" crocheted it for him. Now he looks just like his daddy. Well, if he had more hair on top...
 I've had a quiet, loafing kind of weekend. We've had LOTS of snow. My brother in Texas, and son in Kentucky have had lots of rain, so I guess we get the northern version. My snowplow guy has been here a couple of times, so I could have gone somewhere, but I didn't really NEED to go anywhere, so I putzed around at home.

I guess while I'm looking at snow, folks in Kentucky go to the zoo!
 I think this is a cute picture of Josh. He and Jess just celebrated their 9th anniversary yesterday.
 I think things are going well for Josh and his family. I'm liking the shorter beard, so I can see his face!

I did a few more stamps. This is supposed to be a feather, but looks a little like a leaf, lol.
 The white spaces on these fish are caused by the dips in the erasers I was using to carve. I think I'll switch to another type of eraser.
 I like the little coffee mugs. The cat...nah.
 These kitties are better, but the facial features are too hard to get right with these bad erasers. They're too hard to carve to do small details.
 So, these are the inferior erasers. I won't use them any more. They are pitted and have air bubbles in them. They have sort of a hard "skin" on the outside that resists carving. Maybe they're just old?
 These erasers (below) I can buy cheaply at Walmart and they cut very easily. Just wanted to share my experience in case any of you want to give this a shot. My carving tool is by Speedball. I ordered it online, but if you have a Hobby Lobby nearby they probably have them. My Hobby Lobby is about 35 miles away.
I watched Jane Eyre today; the Orson Wells version. That and the Toby Stephens version are still my favorites. I decided to watch the 1970 version with George C. Scott. (Is that enough "versions"?) I gave up part way through it. I thought they tried to make Jane Eyre too feminist-like. She was just too bold and uppity to be true to the original. Soon I'll probably re-read the book so I can decide which movie is closest to it. I've read it a couple of times, but it's been quite a while. That will have to wait until I finish Charlotte Bronte's biography. I'm getting there!

I heard some great preaching online at Upper Room Dallas this morning. And later I listened to more great teaching from a John Piper video. I know these don't take the place of going to a physical church building, but I think I can concentrate on the message better when I'm not in a crowd. I do need to get out and fellowship more, though.

Time to wind down for bed. Everyone have a fantastic week!
Shalom!

6 comments:

  1. love the cards you made! I hope you have a peaceful week! IT's hard to balance our lives with church and the need for quiet; God bless you and keep you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so great to hear that things are going well for Josh and his little family.
    Sully and his beard are just too cute!!
    I hope you have a good week. By the end of it we'll be into March and surely we'll have nice weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hallo, Lisa, oh, you have lots of snow! I'm always interested in weather anywhere!

    The stamps are ALL wonderful! Even with little "rubber-mistakes2 i like them very much. i know this kindof too old and dry rubbers :) - they do not what i want :)

    Nice family, I'm glad, Josh has a good time and birthday.

    The handmade baby-beard looks really funny :)))) Ah, there is another Grandma Lisa!

    Greetings and blessings for you and for your dears from cold dry Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your prints so much!! You are making me want to carve some erasers or linoleum or something! But I will resist the urge. I brought home too much fabric from India and must sew before anything. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa! Your stamps are wonderful!
    I'm so glad things are going well for Josh's family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, that is a very good point about being able to focus more on the content of the message when you're not in a sanctuary. There is so much to distract there -- and I don't mean "distract" as if we were all 10 years olds :) I mean, as an introvert, being in a big group like that is not comfortable for me. I'm not squirmy uncomfortable either, but I'm always so aware of all the other people, and the music, and studying the preacher's face and emotions. Interesting though.
    The stamps are pretty, and I'm glad you found a better one. I've seen those before -- the white erasers are better. Nice work!
    Oh - There are SO many movie versions of Jane Eyre, I cannot remember them all. Ciaran Hinds did one. There are quite a few just in the past 20 years.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)