Saturday, December 18, 2021

Dancing in a white dress...

I don't know why this thought crossed my mind as I read my daily devotional this morning. My dear mama had two sisters. They were two of my favorite people. Aunt Patsy and Aunt Dixie. The three of them were having tea parties together in their 70's and onward. Delightful ladies. 

Patsy, Dixie and Mary Jane
Angleton, TX-early '40's


Aunt Patsy was the first to go on to heaven after walking the long road of dementia. My mom, Mary Jane, followed some years later after walking that same road. Dixie kept a-going for some years; as mentally sharp as they come, right up to the end. At the very end of her life she told my cousin David, who was the preacher of the family, that she would wear a white dress and dance when she got to heaven. I cry just seeing that vision in my mind's eye! 

This thought got me to thinking. It seems like the older I get and the older my kids get, the more I think of them as brothers, sisters and friends rather than my children. They've always belonged to God, not me. I was just blessed to have them as my earthly family. 

That led me to thinking of how wonderful it will be to spend eternity with all of these people I love, enjoying each others' company and Jesus's company above all. To think, we will love everyone in heaven as we love our children and family, only in a much more perfect way. Jesus will finish the work He began in us here. We will be ourselves, but we'll be the perfect version of who God created us to be.

That's a hopeful vision to meditate on as we navigate the ups and downs of life on this fallen planet. I look forward to dancing in a white dress with my mama and aunties! I hope to see you all there, too! (In the Lord's good timing, lol.)


Look who came to visit. I know, my camera takes terrible pictures at a distance. You'll have to take my word for it that this is a red-bellied woodpecker. I've never seen one around here before. Upon checking my bird guide, I see he shouldn't be quite this far north. Fun to see!
Have any of you seen the movie The Big Year? It's kind of fun for those of us who like to watch the birds. Three guys (Owen Wilson, Jack Black and Steve Martin) vying for the title of the guy who saw the most birds for one year. There's no prize. Just the notoriety of being the best birdwatcher. You wouldn't believe the lengths they go to to beat the other guys. Ha ha. It's based on a true story. I didn't realize that this sort of thing is on the "honor system". They don't have to take photos. They just have to say they saw or even heard the bird! I kind of enjoyed it. :)

A few ATCs...
The Spring Fairy swap. (Looking forward to spring already!)



These were for a Trash to Treasure swap. (Hope I didn't already post these.) The swap host mailed us an envelope full of paper bits (ephemera, as we like to call it) and we had to make cards with at least three pieces of "trash" on each card. We could add our own stuff, too. 

I believe these are for the January Weird Holidays.


These were also for the Trash to Treasure swap. I must have made six cards for that. (My memory card is all out of order.)
I think that catches us up with the cards. Yay!
Today is Chuck's (Thatcher's) birthday! He's three! I'll be going next door for ice cream cake later, and to give him my presents. What a sweet little guy. I wonder if I'll remember to take my camera!

These random tree pictures are my attempt to capture the grandkids' artistic arrangement of ornaments. I couldn't have done it better myself! :)
Love all of you folks out there!
Have a Merry Christmas and a New Year filled with shalom and...



9 comments:

  1. I love your reminiscences of your Mom and her sisters. I had a couple of aunts that I felt close to and I remember how my usually quiet Mom would have such fun when she and her sisters were together, laughing until the tears ran down their faces.
    I remember watching that movie about the birdwatching competition and the crazy lengths those guys went to.
    Happy birthday to little Chuck.I had forgotten that he was born just before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reminiscences of your Mom and her sisters are precious. They left this world in big sadness and tragedy, but went nto heaven to their neverending happiness.

    Wir werden jeden im Himmel lieben, wie wir unsere Kinder und unsere Familie lieben, nur auf eine viel vollkommenere Weise. Jesus wird das Werk beenden, das er hier in uns begonnen hat. Wir werden wir selbst sein, aber wir werden die perfekte Version dessen sein, zu dem Gott uns geschaffen hat.

    This is exact the way to go through this spiritual time before Christmas.

    I love the snow in your region.

    Have a blessed Christmas and a happy and good and healthy new year and stay this wonderful Lisa!

    And best wishes to your great family!

    I love the sentence:
    we will love everyone in heaven as we love our children and family, only in a much more perfect way. Jesus will finish the work He began in us here. We will be ourselves, but we'll be the perfect version of who God created us to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the best Christmas posts ever! I especially love that the grandkids decorate the tree… again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some beautiful memories...your blog is just lovely!
    5 days to Christmas! Hope your holiday will be just great...
    Love from a grey (no snow!) Sweden & Titti

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will have to find that movie and watch it! That is a rare sighting of the woodpecker for sure. I hope he will be okay out of his usual winter range. I love the ATCs. One of these fine days I am going to try to join a swap, too! It looks so fun and I have so much art stuff I have let fall into disuse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas to you and your family !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year, Lisa! That photo of the 3 sisters is so sweet. Your mama had some dancing sass way back then!
    I'll have to look up that bird movie. I like all three of those actors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lisa! Have you read Randy Alcorn's book titled Heaven? If so, did you like it? If not, I THINK you would like it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)