Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Spring is springing! (And some thrift store books!)

Or maybe I'd better not jinx it? Our considerable amount of snow is melting and we have a lake on the driveway, like every year. Hopefully the frost will "go out", as we say, and the lake will disappear in a couple of days. Highs in the 40's are rejoiced over and maybe soon walking outside will be a thing again! (My car is parked halfway down the driveway.)

Just thought I'd empty my memory card onto the blog as usual. Sipping my blueberry/banana smoothie and relaxing, like always. Just finished some ATCs and thought I should catch up on posting them.

Doing lots of babysitting, and glad to be able to help. Micah's family is pretty heavily scheduled so I'd better write this stuff down. None of that "keeping it all in  my head" stuff. ;)

I'm currently reading The Gulag Archipelago. I read part of it in my 20's and didn't realize I had missed two volumes! The edition I'm reading now is the abridged version of all three volumes. I figured I could make it through this  shorter version. (450 pages. Not bad compared to the unabridged version!) I just finished a book called The Story of Reality by Greg Koukl. Really good. I'll let you read the blurbs...


Sun dog! This was a few days ago.
A typical day of babysitting. Screens and artwork.
They're watching a video of other people playing Minecraft. It's the same nice family that does the art video tutorials. They have a lot of fun. (Games for Kids Hub, or something like that.) Della must be the only one doing art. The two smallest boys went with Micah to MOPS.
Sully took this one. 
The crow couple who visit me a lot.
And now...drumroll...ATCs!
This swap was called Celebrity Zettis. Zetti is a style of brightly colored art. It's sometimes described as sustained confusion, lol. It's kind of fun, though difficult for my literal brain that always wants things to look realistic. They had to have a celebrity's face on them. Mine were very old school celebrities. 

These are ATCoins for a Pick-a-Theme swap...(They're 2-1/2 inches in diameter.)

The Fun Flower swap...(just requires flowers)


The Text Me swap. (Just required some text.)

The Foolish Squirrel swap. 

The Stencil swap. Just needed a little stenciling to qualify. (I'm a little bit retro, in case you hadn't noticed, ha ha.)

That's about it for the ATCs. I do a lot of Continuous Random Round Robin cards, too, but don't usually take photos since I only do little bits of them. As usual, apologies if I had any repeats there.

And now...drumroll...the thrift store books.
Gave my last copy to my son, so thought I'd pick up another.
The catechism, just because I was curious and the other Luther book was old, but had interesting stuff to use for collage. The wilderness survival book looked kind of interesting.
I've heard several people say that Bleak House was their favorite Dickens novel, so I grabbed it. And Micah and I had just been talking about Ruth Stout's no till gardening method the other day. Lo and behold I found this copy of one of her books. The genuine article; copyright 1961, I believe.
Some maybes...
Now, I didn't know Lois Lowry had written a follow up book to The Giver. This is it, apparently. I hope it's as good. And the cozy mystery looked like it might be good.
Interested to read a John MacArthur book. And I've always wanted to read one of these traveling books by the Jenkins's.
This is to flip through and then pass on to Adam. I've given him most of my tiny house type books. He politely takes them, ha ha. I think he likes to look at them, too.
And now my tale is finished. We have an early morning tomorrow. Micah and two of the kids have eye doctor appointments, so we're all tagging along.

Thanks for dropping by! I'll come check up on everyone. 
Love and shalom to everyone! :)

5 comments:

  1. I like all your ATCs but the foolish squirrel ones made me smile.
    You'll have to let me know if you enjoy the Lois L.book and if you think it's as good as The Giver.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You found great thrift books; I recall the handcrafted houses book and Ruth Stout's garden method from my book shelves of years ago. Your ATCs are charming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Terra is right! Luther's small catechism we had to learn by heart, when we were pupils! Important statements of faith - - - I don't want to miss today! -

    I love the beautiful photos your very nice grandchildren and I always admire you and your daughter. You do good work in love!

    The snow ist GREAT GREAT GREAT! I admire snow, I was born, when snow was falling. We still have snow in the mountains. I see it every day like greetings from heaven - -

    Best wishes to you and to your lovely family from Dori from the Bavarian Forest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What on earth do you do with all the amazing books that you find once you've finished reading them? Do you pass them on again? You always have the most wonderful finds! I am not ready for Spring, though it is really here. I want to stay hibernating inside, and ignoring the fact that I chose forward as my word for the year!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting collection of books! I remember seeing a great video of Ruth Stout. Go look on Youtube, for "Ruth Stout's Garden." She narrates and is shown on it, if you haven't seen it yet :)
    Our temps are going up and down! 81 on Saturday, 38 on Sunday night!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)