Monday, December 18, 2017

What do people think of me?

I've long tried to get over asking myself that question. But it keeps popping up. The obvious answer is, they probably aren't thinking of me much at all, lol! But I keep feeling apologetic for the fact that I'm retired at the youthful age of 61. I find myself trying to explain why to people and feeling depressed because I still assume they don't understand. These are people whose opinion I value. The rest of the world I'm not worried about.

I've always had a tendency to doubt my ability to make decisions on my own. With Bob gone I don't have much choice. Should I have retired early, when I could have made more money if I'd waited 5 years? I didn't feel like I had that choice. I wasn't making enough to really cover all of my bills, and I was so exhausted from the work that I couldn't have gotten a second job to supplement it. I figured that if I retired I would basically make as much as I did at work after taxes, and I could then supplement with a part-time job if needed. Also, all of my co-workers that I'd worked with for the last 13 years were retiring and they were being replaced with people who didn't have the same work ethic. I wasn't going to kill myself trying to do everyone else's work.

I think I would feel better about all of this if I just went out and found a little weekend job. I don't want to stop helping Micah with getting the kids to and from school, so the weekends are pretty much the only time I could work. One of the perks of retirement was also that I didn't have to drive back and forth to town in bad weather. I dunno. I'm just feeling down in the dumps because I just got off the phone with my step-son and he thought I was still working, which made me feel guilty. I'm a guilt machine, folks! He didn't say anything to make me feel bad. It's all in my head.

Anyway, Sandra just posted the following quote. I wonder if it contains any wisdom for me?

"It is not the cares of today, but the cares of tomorrow, that weigh a man down. For the needs of today we have corresponding strength given. For the morrow we are told to trust. It is not ours yet. It is when tomorrow's burden is added to the burden of today that the weight is more than a man can bear." ~ George Macdonald ~

If you've read this far you are a real trooper! Sorry for dumping on everyone. This is my diary, after all! (I really try not to post this type of thing, but I needed some therapy today!)

I will try to come up with something a little more Christmas-y next time! :)

I hope you're all enjoying your decorating and cookie baking!
Shalom.



4 comments:

  1. from what you just said, it sounds like you took retirement at just the right time! I know many who took early retirement for many reasons. God is taking care of you and you are doing good work helping with the kids. If you can live retired without a weekend job (no church then, right?) well, that would not be all bad. Everyone's situation is different and everyone needs to make choices that fit their situation. It must be hard to not have your Husband to make choices with. Sending you a HUG your way. Know that you are loved and treasured just as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I hope you can figure out what it is you want to do and not what you think you should be doing. Elizabeth has wise words, far wiser than I have, but they make a lot of sense. ((((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. LR, this is about as Christmassy as it comes, using the waiting time to find Jesus in our lives. A friend sent me a quote this week- don't feel guilty for doing what's right for you. And as a working mother, having someone to help? There's your job right there. What I think of you is immeasurable x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the little happy elves sitting around the fire :)
    Lisa, I "retired" (I guess) in June, having just turned 54! And it's NOT because we have lots of cash either, haha. Let me tell you -- I worked myself to death for those 2 years at the afterschool program, thinking I was helping our personal finances. Little did I know ... Adam found out that the reason our ACA health insurance premiums went up so much, and our deductible doubled, was because of my income. Basically, it was a wash -- I was working to pay for the higher rates :( It was hard to learn that. But now I don't feel guilty for quitting working, and I'm making a little with my soap/lotion/yarn business. And we get by.
    But don't let ANYONE make you feel bad about retiring. You know your own body, and your limits, and the difficulties of the working situation in your area. It sounds like you needed to stop, and you are helpful to your daughter and her family, which is one of the best reasons for us "older" ladies to be home. Young families with kids need all the help they can get these days. You're doing great!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)