Thursday, May 9, 2019

Book haul!!

Another library book sale has come and gone! As usual, I tried to limit my purchases since I don't want to entirely fill my house with books. And, as usual, I failed... Actually, the stack I brought home is quite a bit smaller than most I've brought home in the past. So, I didn't do so badly. And here are most of my weird collection. (The only thing missing is a book called Once a Runner, which I bought for my son, Josh, who is a runner. It's a novel about running! He seemed to think it might be interesting. Hope he likes it.)

The first thing that caught my eye was a table full of giant storybooks. The kind used for storytime at school. I grabbed these two. (I noticed someone came along after me and took the entire pile! Maybe 15-20 books.) These may go to the grands, or I may keep them for my "art" collection. :)
Notice my flip phone for size comparison, lol.

Next, I got several books to use for collage components. These are mostly falling apart and some are in foreign languages. Always nice for artwork-mainly collage.
And a few more for collage materials...
A lot of my ATC swaps involve cancelled postage stamps. We have to include at least one real stamp on a card, but we can also decorate the card with other "fake" stamps like the pictures in this little book.

And some of the retro pictures from the Jello and Salad books would look cute on artwork. I've even used the recipes themselves as backgrounds.



 A reprint of an old Sears and Roebuck catalog. Lots of good vintage pictures.



 I know it seems like sacrilege to cut up some of these old books but, as I said, some of them are falling apart, and most of them would just be thrown away or stashed on a shelf to gather dust. Some of the pages I'll share with other ATCers as gifts. We like to add little bits to our envelopes full of cards as a gift to the host of the swap. The songbook is actually in pretty good shape, so I may leave that intact. I can always print some copies if I need some music pages.

I picked up this scrapbooking guide for my secret pal. Our bunch of deli gals drew names for secret pals. Mine said she liked anything scrapbooky, so maybe she'll enjoy this. She won't mind that it's not new. I'll get her something new for Christmas. ;)

I grabbed this book just because of the artwork! This illustrator has such an unusual and colorful style. I just want to study it for a while. It will go in my art book collection. More eye candy to inspire me!


Now, I chose this book because foreign book text is also popular as a collage element with ATCs. However, I find myself wondering who the book is about. Is this German? Dori, are you out there? Could you translate the title for me? (When trying to translate the second line via Google I was told it's SWEDISH. En Utredning means "an investigation".)  I notice it's published by a Christian publisher, and I think it's a biography of a theologian. I still may use the pages since I can't read it anyway, but I'd like to know what it is before I do anything with it. I once brought a foreign book home just to discover that it was a BIBLE! This isn't, but it is something intriguing.

The word Jerusalem leapt out of the page at me!
Okay, that's it for collage materials.

I'm pretty sure I have a copy of this somewhere in storage. If so, I'll donate one of them back to the library, but I decided to get this just in case. Beatrix Potter's illustrations are the best, and we occasionally have ATC swaps based on her art. I would use this to copy from.
 I couldn't resist these.
Something I've always thought would be fun is rewriting old folk tales from other countries. So, I've picked up a few books over the years.
Yes, I confess, I choose most of my books because of the illustrations...


AND, I'm a hoarder of nature guides!
I chose these mainly because of the pen and ink illustrations. Eric Sloane is incredible.
On the spiritual side of things...
I always get these two gals confused. Maybe I'll remember who's who after I read these?
A little fiction.
I've never read Robinson Crusoe, so I got this little school-ish version.
Isn't it funny how different we all are in our reasons for choosing certain books? I seem to be creating an art collection, but no matter what the reason, they are all interesting! I hope you enjoyed looking at them!

We've gotten a couple of wildlife shots out of my living room window in the last couple of days. I captured some curious deer...
...and I believe this is a hairy woodpecker and a nuthatch.
This morning, Josh got some shots of a fox staring in our window!
See the back of my car in the lower right? Pretty close!

Thanks for sticking it out through my book haul post!

For the record, I walked 2 miles again today. I went to my regular doctor this morning just to get his opinion on my neck pain. He seemed to think I should just be patient, keep moving, apply some heat/cold as needed and take some Advil. I am getting better, and he didn't seem to think it was taking an unusually long time or anything. He said if I get frustrated and want to do more I can call him and he'll set up an appointment with a physical therapist. But for now, I'll just do the simple things.

I'll let you guys go to bed now! Thanks again for stopping by! Love y'all!
Shalom.

6 comments:

  1. I don't know about how the cost of a physio would work through US healthcare, but if it's feasible- take the physio! I love the book haul- I have just put so many old university French books into our recycling. I wish I'd seen this post first! Also, I have some signed book labels to deliver to Sandra for you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad your neck is getting better, God give you wisdom about PT! fun book finds!!! Love your creativity and art plans!! Neat pictures of nature nearby, foxes, birds.....! God bless you dear one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's marvelous how you found so many books that inspire your art or may serve as materials - Even fake stamps and a Sears catalog! You remind me of me, when I had an eye for materials for all my creative projects every time I went into a thrift store. I collected lots of articles of clothing just because the fabric was lovely and I could envision doll clothes or a gift bag, etc etc...

    I have no trouble between Lamott and Dillard because I've only read Dillard :-) I imagine you will find them very different!

    But... I couldn't help looking the two up on Wikipedia to compare. They were both born in April, but Dillard is nine years older. Dillard born on the East Coast, Lamott on the West. There were some things in their bios that made me think that if I had read them both at the same time I'd have gotten them mixed up very easily!

    Lamott married for the first time when she was 65, just last month!! Dillard (who was born Meta Ann Doak) has been married three times. Have fun with your Anns :-)

    SQUIFFY the Skunk? hahahaha I don't know why that name strikes me as ridiculous.

    I own The World in Your Garden which I think was my grandfather's. I have pored over that book for hours, but not at all recently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? You don't want to fill your home with books??
    I love all the books you found, such a variety! I don't think your foreign language book is German. The crossed letter o is more likely to be Danish or Norwegian???
    I need more bookshelves but can't figure out where to put them. I could also use more shelf space for teacups but same problem.
    That fox sure is brave coming so close to your place. Good thing you don't have chickens. They would likely be his dinner.
    Have fun with your abundance of books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good evening dear Lisa!

    Books are good friends! You collected a funny company of books, very nice! The book you asked me for to translate the title into German language is Swedish, I see.

    Oh how funny: NOT a CAT at the food-place of the birds! :)

    I love deers very much, not easy to catch them with camera. And how nice the wild fox! It is not his fault to be a fox, God has made him. So he shall go his way in peace!

    Pain in the neck: I say from my experiences: the best help is some medicine against pain. This makes really a good healing. I can feel with you!

    Many greetings from Dori from the Bavarian forest with deers, birds, cats and foxes :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)