Friday, March 5, 2021

Do you think spring is coming?

 There's still snow on the ground, but our temps are getting up in the 30's and 40's during the day, so that's a good sign. March is usually a snowy month for us, but I have been able to get out and walk down my road a couple of times this week. The shoulder of the road is finally free of ice! We have four swans that fly over a couple of times each day. They are so impressive and their voices are lower than those of the geese. The grands stand out in their yard and wave at the big birds! :)

Speaking of grands, they've been having fun with a YouTube site called Art for Kids Hub. If yours haven't discovered it you might want to give it a try. Here are some samples of what they've drawn.

By Audrey (age 9)

Also Audrey
A Della original (age 5)
Audrey (Hazel decorated the background)
By Hazel (age 8)
Not sure which artist made this one!

I'm just doing the usual: a little artwork, reading, watching YouTube, walking, running to town with Micah and the kids or by myself occasionally. I've been a little under the weather since Monday, but nothing serious. Feeling tired, but that's probably a combo of the slight sickness and the after effects of walking. Who can know? I take things pretty easy most of the time. :)

I'm considering signing up for Faith Voices, which is something our new worship leader is starting. As close as I can tell he just wants to gather a group of people, ages 12 and up, who are willing to sing now and then for special services or to help with the worship. I've been on hiatus for years, but this might be a good time to jump back in. The main reason for my hesitancy is driving after dark, but I can probably manage that. It would be nice to get more involved at church. I am on the prayer chain, which is also a good way to be involved. It's 15 miles to church, so it's too easy to think up excuses not to participate. I need to give myself a big nudge!

Just got this in the mail. It might be my next read. It's another Rod Dreher book. Now, I'm not sure if Rod is an Orthodox Christian or Catholic. I've noticed icons in the background when I watch his YouTube videos. But in any case, I like his common sense, conservative views on things and I'm interested to see what he has to say in this book.

Did I show you this book, which I also received recently? I read this back in my early 20s and wanted to revisit it. The story of a young Danish woman which I think took place in the 1940's. She felt the call of God to go to Jerusalem, though she wasn't even familiar with the place. She ended up rescuing orphans and it's a fascinating story of how that came about. (True story.)

Woodpecker couple... (I'm not sure if you can see the one up by the feeders?)





I did some negative painting for a Watercolor Postcard (4"x6") swap.



These four are for a Bunnies and Rabbits of Spring swap. Ordinarily, I wouldn't cut up a Richard Scarry book, but this paperback copy was all crumpled and looked like someone had run over it with a truck. So, I decided to salvage some of the cute little illustrations and give them a new lease on life. 




The grands sledding on the little "hill" created when their dad plowed the driveway, ha ha. They have to drive a couple of miles to find a good hill for sledding, so they make do between times.



For a Bird swap.

Yesterday morning's moon...
I found this cute little book at the thrift store. Have I already shown it? I didn't realize what it was at first. The language it was written in looked familiar, but it didn't register right away. Then I saw some English phrases on the copyright page.
It's a little Greek New Testament!
I guess it will live on my shelves unless one of you knows someone who would love to have it? (I like to rescue foreign language books. Sometimes for collage, but not if it's a Bible!)
Well, I think I've wrung my memory card dry, so I will bring this post to a close. 

Oh, Pom Pom, I'm still looking forward to a visit from The Jolly Postman. I know he'll get here in his own good time! :)

MK, none of that bragging about being out in your vegetable garden, okay? Those of us in the north are sensitive about that sort of thing.

I'll be visiting, y'all! 
God bless and shalom to everyone!

8 comments:

  1. I love your posts!!! 🥰🥰🥰 thatbook from the 1940s sounds intriguing!!! Rod D was Catholic for some time but later on became an Orthodox Christian and has been for some years now. I met him once, he was kind 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lot of snow you still have! We have snow on the top of the mountains.

    Your grandchildren have learned to be happy with the snow. I like the fair hair of them, so fine and light!

    I think it is okay to feel sometimes tired in February and March. The Indians call these two months the "week months", because new is growing.

    The spring-moon also tells about the new season.

    What delicious little artworks from you and from your grandchildren. They have your talent.

    Fine to have a Bible in Greek language. I love the Orthodox Saints and teachers very much.

    15 miles is a long distance to your church, and its hard to drive when it is dark. My church is only a few steps near my house - -

    We also have in our garden a Woodpecker couple. But ous are smaller. I love them!

    I love your funny bunnies and rabbits. I made some bunnies and rabbits from metal -

    Hugs from the Bavarian Forest to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting post! I especially love the bird cards you did for a swap. I can't believe the artwork produced by such young ones. That must be a great site, a wonderful resource especially during COVID.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Bunnies and Rabbits of Spring collages.
    I think I should investigate that Art for Kids site. Maybe they could teach me to draw. I'm hopeless.
    Your Woodpecker couple are so impressive. Their size alone makes them something to behold. I hope they nest nearby.
    Hopefully you will feel less tired as we move into Spring. You'll be able to get back into walking regularly. Everything looks more hopeful in Spring.
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love hearing about the fun your grandchildren have -- their lives are so rich, showing how children get the most wholesome and stimulating experiences and the best socialization just by being in a normal family.

    Rod Dreher is Orthodox, though he spent some years as a Catholic. I think I got The Benedict Option on Audible -- maybe I will finally read it this year!! Though I've read so much of his writing elsewhere I think I know what's in it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh please tell me Spring is coming and maybe even here! We are nearly into double figures with temperatures here (different temperature language I know), which is very balmy. I love the point in the year when you decide to go out just in a big jumper and leave the big coat at home. I mean, it's still freezing but at least you can pretend it's warm! I love your collage cards very much indeed. I remember making things like that (much less effectively) when I managed to get the boys busy with something like these wonderfully industrious art hub workers! Thank you for uploading your memory card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, Oh, Lisa - sorry! :) It has been nice here, and I do shudder to think of all the snow happening elsewhere. My friend in Wyoming has massive FEET of snow, and I wonder if you got in on that storm too?
    I recognized Richard Scarry's bunnies right away!! I do love his work.
    I say YES to doing music at church. There are so many benefits to doing music together in worship. Plus, do it while you are still young enough, and your voice is up to it! It's such a blessing to everyone else just to BE there.
    Yes, my daffodils are in full bloom, but today they were pummeled by rain. We needed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am happy to find your blog, I like your art work and how you re-used the Richard Scarry illustrations. I just bought Live Not By Lies by Rod Dreher, that will be the first book I have read by him. I hope I like it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)