Saturday, June 18, 2011

Draw Boldly...

Something that really struck a chord with me in Uri Shulevitz's book, Writing With Pictures was on page 187 where he talks about "drawing boldly". As he puts it, "once you take the plunge, draw resolutely." He also says, "Hesitation, like driving a car with the brakes on, stops the momentum and results in vacillating lines. If the lines in your sketch aren't right, don't erase them; draw again, without hesitation, over the previous lines."

For years I've avoided doing more than an occasional sketch. I was afraid of color and shading. I wanted so much to try it, but was afraid the results would be disappointing. Today I took my little pencil sketches, colored them with pencil (I plan to purchase some watercolor paper soon to try out my paints) and then filled in the detail with pen. It was SO MUCH FUN!!!! The results were very pleasing and better than I had hoped. Pencil sketches come to life with the addition of color and pen. Too bad I waited so long to try this, but better late than never! Move over Grandma Moses!

As an aside to Pom-Pom, my only reader at this point, forgive me if I don't reply to your wonderful comments, but this computer won't let me. I think it has something to do with enabling third-party cookies. Be assured that I do read and appreciate your encouragement. I can comment using my laptop, but I try to use it only for my schoolwork since there are so many viruses lurking around. Thanks for dropping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)