Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Organising the bookshelves...

 My bookshelves were looking a little tired and neglected, so I spent a little time this morning organising and rearranging. Put a few books in my donation box and generally reacquainted myself with what's on my shelves.

My Facebook friends often post memes of huge libraries full of books. Their dream libraries. Weeeeellll. I think I'm getting much more minimalist as I get older. I have plenty here to keep me busy for a long time. Don't get me wrong. I'm still digging through the shelves at the thrift store. I'm just getting rid of things as I acquire new things! And I did just order a book from Amazon this morning, lol. (Brazen by Sean Feucht)

This shelf contains books to be read. I'm just starting The Zion Chronicles on the left. I've read a few of them years ago, but I'm starting over. The LOTR and Chronicles of Narnia. The middle stack is "reference" type books. And the stack on the right are C.S. Lewis. Most of them read, but still some I haven't read. They're keepers. (In fact, I kind of have a hankering to read the space trilogy again.)

The first and second stacks here are random books to be read. The stack on the right are Golda Meir's autobiography, a book on Biblical archaeology by Moshe Dayan and Sketches of Jewish Social Life by Alfred Edersheim. Part of my little Jewish/Israel collection.
The bottom shelf has children's books and art books on the right side.
Books in the upper left hand cubby have already been read, but I'm keeping them. Perhaps to read again.
Some Christian books to be read and a few others. A devotional, a Bible and a few antique books on the left. I don't know if I'll read those, but I had to adopt them. 
More to-be-reads and some field guides.
And the bottom left cubby hole is full of sketchbooks (mine and the boys') and journals. Only one journal has much in it. The rest are just things I might use someday.
And my current read is... Still good even the second time around.

We've had some extreme weather lately with lots of snow and very low temps. A couple of days ago the windchill was -45, but we've had lots of actual temps in the -20's. This week has been mild in comparison, and we are thankful! The woodpeckers and crows have been visiting.

I've been spending lots of time indoors, except for venturing out to water and feed chickens and barn cats. Don't worry about the animals. They have places to get in out of the weather. The cats like to sit on the railing around my deck and peek in the kitchen window.

Is it possible that I only have four pictures of ATCs? I've been doing a lot of Continuous Random Round Robin cards lately, and I don't usually take pictures of those. Here are some for a couple of swaps.

These are for the February Weird Holidays swap. (They're not necessarily weird. Mostly just unknown.)


These are for the Stamp Mix-Up swap. You just needed to include at least two stamps.

I picked up a few items at the thrift store yesterday. After being home so much during the cold weather, I couldn't resist a trip to the thrift store and lunch at Dairy Queen. That's livin', man!

This was the only book I found for myself.
I grabbed some kids' books and this huge puzzle. No idea what it looks like when done. I think it's a map type puzzle. The kids will enjoy the challenge.
Remember these? I couldn't leave it on the shelf! Either Adele can use it for her unicorn collection, or maybe Thatcher/Chuck would like to have a barn for his dinosaurs? 
Well, that's all I have for now. I hope you're all well. We're doing fine.
Thanks for stopping by! I'll check in with all my blogger pals ASAP.
Love and hugs and lots of shalom!

7 comments:

  1. Oh! You did such a good job sorting and organizing. I just dug out my old Catherine Cookson collection and as I read them I am donating them. I read them all years and years ago.

    I love that little barn and my youngest son played with his for years...and carried the little animals around in his pockets.

    Have a wonderful Wednesday. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a barn just like that!!

    Your bookshelf-organizing looks like a lot of fun. I have been doing some of that this week, too. I have bookshelves in six rooms, plus stacks of books in a few places. There is always some book I can't locate when I want it, so I am always looking with a critical eye, trying to figure out what I will never read again.

    Just this morning it was a big volume of Ogden Nash. I found one poem I might post, but then it will go back to the thrift store.

    I really loved the books in the Zion Chronicles series that I read -- I don't think I finished quite all of them, though. A couple of scenes from the books have stuck in my mind all those years; it was truly an exciting story.

    Thank you for checking in from the frozen North! I'm glad you are staying warm and also making important forays into town. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, my idea of having a huge library, with shelves to the ceiling and a rolling ladder, gave way to a dream of having very little in the way of possessions! I call myself "an unwilling minimalist," but that's not exactly true. Initially I was upset to have to leave possessions behind, but now I don't care! Funny how life works out. I can't even fathom your temperatures. It boggles my subtropical mind. Love the photo of the barn cats lined up to have a peek in your kitchen! And love the "weird holidays" cards, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fine collection of books! It is a good idea to put one here and the other there, so all is in order now, and you have a good view, what you can read (or later read). I also have some boos, which I read more than one time.
    The snow looks beautiful, but too cold is very hard. The cats look so sweet!

    Good Lisa is feeding chicken and cats very good, I know!

    There is always to find something in your rooms, also for your grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember reading all the Lillian Beckwith's books I could get my hands on. I wonder if you'll enjoy the one you bought and I wonder if I'd enjoy them if I reread them. Sometimes it happens that books I really liked now leave me unimpressed.
    Keep warm if you can. I'm looking forward to warmer weather. My hands are always cold these days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found a barn toy like that at my thrift store too, way back. It was a favorite at Thanksgiving and Christmas with my 2 grandsons. Great choice! You've got some good reading there, and a great trove for the grand kids. Tis the time of year to stay indoors and read :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have books that I wish to keep as well ❤📚

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)