Saturday, April 21, 2018

One walk under my belt!

Yay! I finally took the first walk of the season. I did a big loop around the school and a couple of other blocks in town for a grand total of 1.3 miles. (Measured it with the car afterwards.) I  had plans to go further if I felt like it, but at the halfway point I knew that wasn't going to happen. After all, I've been sitting on the couch all winter. My hips were saying, "What's going on?!?" There's nothing wrong with my hips, mind you. They just hadn't had to MOVE for the last six months! Anyway, it was a very pleasant stroll. Lots of sunshine and a slight breeze. Of course, I didn't remember to take my camera.

Here are some ATCs to break up the text a bit.

This snowy owl was a request from one of the gals. I did paint the eyes yellow, but otherwise a snowy owl doesn't need much painting...

 These were for a Fantasy Horses swap.





 These are for an "Inchie, Twinchie, Moo" swap.
Bird twinchies (2"x2")

These are inchies, as the writing indicates.

And these are the moos. (I'm not sure why they call them that.)

These were for the "Map It!" swap. You just needed to use a map somewhere on the card and then decorate it.
Well, still having a problem with heartburn and reflux. Gretchen was nice enough to suggest an article to read. I'll link it HERE. It's got about six parts, but it presents a whole different viewpoint from what I would have expected. He suggests that we avoid Prilosec and other anti-acid types of medicines because they may be making the problem worse. The problem might be not having ENOUGH stomach acid, which could be caused by a bacterial infection which needs to be treated with antibiotics. This infection can actually suppress the production of stomach acid, which can cause problems with digesting carbs, which then leads to a sort of fermentation in the stomach which causes the reflux. Like I say, it's a long article, so I won't summarize it all here. Basically, I'm going to try a low-carb diet first and see if that helps. If not, then it might be time to test for that infection. The third possibility is that the sphincter at the top of the stomach may be malfunctioning, which would require an operation. Hopefully not that. This is new to me (heartburn) so I'm trying to be positive and expect it to clear up on its own. We'll see!

Otherwise, I'm trying to stay in the Word and prayer, plus doing a lot of other reading between short bursts of artwork.

I hope you're all experiencing spring. I sure hope ours stays!

Shalom for now! :)

8 comments:

  1. I hope you figure out your heartburn issue and I hope a simple diet change will help a lot. This winter and spring Hubby and I have been doing Whole30 and it's been really good for our health in every area. If you look up Whole30 and then read testimonials, it's quite amazing what is happening in people's lives who eat this way and you might find your gut issue there too. The program doesn't require any signing up or costs, but it outlines the "rules" and the dos and don'ts. It's pretty straight forward.

    You are good at drawing horses and imaginary horses too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Good job on taking that walk! Don't you think walking is therapeutic? I love walking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa! I hope you figure out what is causing your heartburn. Poor girl! Oh, all of the ATCs are wonderful!
    Yay for a walk. I hope you get lots of walks in this spring.
    Sending heaps of care and friendship your way! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great you can get out and walk now. Spring is surely here. I hope you find relief from heartburn.
    A close friend had a lot of trouble with it and had to raise the head part of her bed ( don't remember by how much) and she made some minor changes in her diet. Eventually she seemed to "grow out of it". Strange things happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, love all the wonderful art, especially the owl. Hope you find a simple answer to the reflux. I also took a walk today and my hips also asked what's going on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I overheard one of our church young people saying that she had a problem with stomach acid and it was actually not having enough acid and now she takes vinegar in AM and is better. who'd a thought, right? God bless you dear one! We had a walk too!!! And now my foot is going 'what did you do?!?!'.... HUGS...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you hate it when your hips talk back? Haha - I hate it when mine do that :) Good for you, stepping out on your first walk!
    Quite a few years ago I had another blog friend with bad reflux (and enough $ for lots of doctor visits), and eventually she also arrived at the conclusion that she had a lack of stomach acid. The stomach acid works on the gases, preventing them from becoming excessive. She noted this: when she had acid reflux, she almost always also had a burp, which meant some gas trying to come up. She gave up her purple pills (which evidently are not good for you and mess up your gut for the long term), and she started drinking things that would add healthy acid to her gut: little bit of apple cider vinegar, or pickle juice, or even lemon juice. I did the same, and it helped. I think I read recently that those reflux drugs can damage your kidneys? Ugh. I hope you're feeling better soon! But yes - less carbs (which increase the gas), more good acids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely acts! I love the owl and the different horses and birds. You are a gifted artist and always I recognize in your work a positive mind!

    Even if it sound curious, I also have an experience, that some vinegar or acid fruits make the acid stomache better! No OP, I really do not believe that this is necessary. What about some white yoghurt!

    Sometimes chilli is helpful , and do not eat too much cake and flower, this is right.
    Its good to have some walk after this long hard winter. happy to know you in nice spring! Greetings and blessings from Dori.

    There is a very good medicine her in Germany: PANTOPRAZOL! This sentence comes from my husband in this minute! This medicine I know, it is SO HELPFUL and SOFT without making other problems!

    have a good healthy night, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)