Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Finally feeling like summer...

Looks like we'll be in the 80's this week. Hopefully, my landlord will get the cover off of my air conditioner in case I need to use it. I try to do without it. I don't like the noise and that "air conditioner smell" in the air. Also, I like to have the windows open so I can hear outside sounds.

Okay. An experiment. Will Blogger let me post pictures?
Yes! These are cards I made for a Pointillism swap.



Before I forget, Gretchen, I've been trying to post comments on your blog and I keep getting an error message. I just wanted you to know I am reading and enjoying your blog, but I just can't leave comments for some reason. Wah. ;)

As I may have mentioned (more than once?) I haven't been going to church much since Bob passed away 4-1/2 years ago. I just feel awkward and also, I don't like the long drive to the church we were going to. I just feel like I'll never get really involved if I have to drive that far several times a week. I made that commute enough times over the 13 years I worked in the deli. Anyway, this past Sunday I got my courage up and attended the little Church of Christ right here in Nevis. I really liked it! There were maybe 50-60 people and it's a very friendly little church. I think it's about time I get to know some local Christians and find out how I can get involved. Since I homeschooled my kids and then went to work full-time in a neighboring town, I never really got to know people in my own town. I'd like to remedy that and also get involved at the school since my grandkids will all go there. I'm looking forward to it!

Here's an old 1955 photo of the Church of Christ.
And this is what it looks like now. I found these on Google images. Lots of additions! :)
It's a quirky little church building, which kind of matches the congregation. They have Sword Drills where the congregants race to see who can find a scripture first. They keep track of points because someone is going to win a prize! The pastor is an exuberant preacher of the pure gospel, and has a sense of humor. As the offering basket is passed he reminds newcomers to fill out an information card and put it in the basket, "Especially if your name is LISA!" Newcomers also go home with a loaf of homemade bread, provided by the ladies of the church. It's a very casual group. No airs of sophistication here. Music is the pastor's wife on the piano and the singing of a few hymns. Refreshingly simple. Can you tell I like it? My first challenge will be learning names. Not my strong point, so I hope they're patient. :)

Here's a little nuthatch I made for a swap. The other three cards weren't my favorites, so I'll just post this one. 


I babysat Sully, Adele and Hazel today for several hours while Micah spent 3 hours with Audrey at school. It was "Field Day" and Audrey got a first place in the 50 yard dash! Tomorrow, Micah has a meeting with her midwife in a town about 45 minutes away. I'll watch Hazel and Micah will take the two youngest with her. That should be easier for me! If she doesn't get back by 3, Hazel and I will go and pick Audrey up from school. Always juggling kids and schedules! :) Micah's having a hard time with morning sickness so I'm getting back in the swing of helping out with housework to relieve her of some of the burden. I really do enjoy creating order out of chaos, lol.

Well, it's getting late and I would be wise to get to bed. I've enjoyed checking out everyone's blogs tonight.

God bless us every one!
Shalom.

7 comments:

  1. yay for you for getting up the courage to go to a new near to you church! I am so glad and hope it continues to bless you!!! Love your drawings! It's getting warm here as well!!! God bless and keep you dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BRAVO LISA!

    Such wonderful point-pictures, amazing!

    A good decision to visit your small church here in your town. I see, the Spirit is here! Congratulation for this step1 very nice priest!

    :) Humour is a healthy freedom !

    New school-contacts - why not!!!! YES!!

    Beautiful bird-drawing!

    Best Grandma!


    BLESSINGS and GREETINGS from the summer-Bavarian- Forest to your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, Blogger and WordPress often have had issues with each other. Do you comment using a WordPress account? Because in the past when my blog was on Blogger, I was not able to comment using my Google account. And now that I have a WordPress blog I can't comment on Blogger blogs using that account. It looks like an option, but it never works!

    Also, if you tell me what the error message says, I can ask the real people that we have at WordPress for help :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little local church sounds like a place you'll like. Pointillism looks like a LOT of work but the results are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your pointillism pics! And I'm glad you've found the perfect church for you. It sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your art this time around -- the bird is so sweet, and I particularly like pointillism. I'm so happy you've found a nearby church that you enjoy! It sounds like my kind of place, unpretentious. I LOVE that they do sword drills as a congregation!!! That's fabulous. Not every church would do that, but it's pretty cool. I hope you continue to really enjoy it! And congrats on the new grandbaby on the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for a sweet little church! Another grand on the way? Congrats!
    Your cards are gorgeous, Lisa.
    I hope the air conditioner gets sorted. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)