Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Happy birthday, Audrey!

Audrey is seven years old today! Grandma will deliver some gifts this morning. Maybe I'll stop off at the local bakery and pick up some muffins.

Micah was remembering how her dad used to "fake cry" and say, "What am I going to do when I don't have a six year old anymore?!?" In Micah's case she'll have another six year old in six weeks! (Miss Hazel)

Thanks, friends, for all of the assurances and experiences you shared concerning cataract and basal cell surgeries. I've opted to postpone the cataract surgery for now. Partly because both of my appointments were so close together, and I'm unsure about my insurance coverage. But I think I'll be okay for a couple more years. I'm getting new glasses and I don't think the cataracts are at the unbearable stage yet.

Vacation Bible school is going well. Just two more days! These kids are really tugging at my heart. It's hard to believe there is such a high percentage of kids with behavioral problems. Or maybe they just stand out. Also, so many of these kids come from broken homes with multiple parents and lots of drug and alcohol problems. Bless their hearts. It's a broken world we live in. I'm thinking I'll get involved with the after-school program when the school year starts up. Not every day, but one or two days a week. They have a program from 3:30-5:30 every day. I don't feel like the most qualified person to help, but God can use weak vessels, right? Maybe I'll come up with some art projects.

Being involved in VBS and other things at church has kept me so busy and in such close contact with PEOPLE constantly that I'm getting kind of exhausted. Probably more emotionally than physically. I'm hoping to have a little rest for a few days when VBS is over. We'll see. (Maybe after we finish making a float for the parade?!?)

A FEW HOURS LATER: Well, I delivered Audrey's gifts and visited for a while. Now I'm off to Walmart to pick up some things I thought of for VBS. I attempted to take a nap, but my mind keeps whirring along. :)

Catch you all later! Thanks for stopping by!
Shalom.

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Audrey!!

    Being involved with VBS and other church activities can be exhausting for anyone but I think it's more so for introverts like us. Take the time you need to rest and restore your serenity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, GM! I sure hope that will happen, lol.

      Delete
  2. Yes, do get some rest too as you don't want to burnout and feel less desire to be at your lovely new church! but I totally get how things come in bunches and sometimes we just have to go with it! My Grandma has cateract surgery and was so surprised how much better she sees now! Someday I will need it I think, but they are not very substantial at present! So nice about the birthday and gifts! God bless you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First: Happy birthday to Audrey! It really is a wonderful thing to have such a child in the house and in the heart! Six years old: a fine time!

    Dearest Lisa, I also think you are right to make now no surgery on your eyes. I see in your blog, that you read a lot of wonderful books, so I think you still have good eyes!

    It's really a very sad thing, that a lot of children have either family-problems, or they cannot work in this - I think sometimes "ill" system (here in Europe the same). I think you can help in your style, because you have heart and mind of a very empathic mother and grandmother.

    I know this feeling sometimes: feeling tired because of small time for sleeping, but though time is here to sleep head still works. But time for best quality of sleeping comes when time comes.

    I am sure, tat our Lord is using you and does not give more tasks for you than necessary. He does not want us to make selfmade crosses, so you are on the right way, I see. You are so blessed and brave and a joy for the Lord!

    Many greetings and best wishes from Dori from the Bavarian Forest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dori! I like what you said about the Lord not wanting us to make self-made crosses. Very true! :)

      Delete
  4. Lisa, I worked at an afterschool program (not a Christian one, just a non-profit) for 2 years. Very rewarding work. Very chaotic environment, and quite loud, but that didn't bother me. It was too hard on my legs, and somewhat stressful, but the relationships with the kids is very rewarding. Yes, you can make a big difference in kids' lives just by being there and loving them. That's more important than "qualifications" or teaching experience, etc. I hope you give that a try!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)