Friday, July 13, 2018

Hey, y'all!

My internet has been on strike for a couple of days, so I'm typing this at the library. Just checking in and had a couple of life events to share.

I, apparently, have a basal cell carcinoma on my nose. A spot that hasn't wanted to heal for a long time. I went to the doctor yesterday and he is going to make an appointment with another doctor in Bemidji who will look at it and do the actual out-patient surgery. Have any of you had this done? I'd love to hear your experiences in the comments so I'll have some idea what to expect. :) I have at least one other spot on my face that may need a freeze gun applied to it.

Also, I will be having cataract surgery on one of my eyes this fall. Any stories?

Old age. The body is slowly coming to the end of itself! But, I trust I have some good years ahead, so...I continue to buy books at the book sale!

This time it was $1 per bag, so I stocked up. :)

I like to pick up books in foreign texts. I'll use the pages as background text for ATCs and give a lot of it to other ATC creators as gifts. I later realized that the book on the left is a Bible, so I won't be cutting that up. Anyone know what languages these are? Somebody donated a lot of them to the library.

Once more, some foreign text for collage. The bookplates are really cool, too, and would be good material for collages.

I was blown away to get these! I've given my field guides to my grands in the past and wished I had some more. Woo hoo!

Remembering the Kana is showing how to do Japanese calligraphy. Something else for ATCs. The other two books also have lots of collage-ready pictures.

I saw lots of Jack Higgins books in the jumbled boxes and thought to myself, "If hey had The Eagle Has Landed I would grab it." Ta-dah! I read it as a teen and thought it would be fun to revisit. Also, some Austen and Bronte. Villette is one of my favorites.

I love to learn about life in other cultures, so these called my name.

I always wished I  had hung onto some of my nursing materials. Just interesting, I guess. So I grabbed this manual. Another book about Japan. A celtic music DVD. And a couple of random magazine-type things.

A variety of spiritual material.

I couldn't pass up the little volume of Animal Farm. Read it in junior high. I keep buying Moby Dick and then not reading it. Someone called Melville "the American Shakespeare" so I thought I'd get it again...just in case. The SparkNotes of LOTR....why not? Tom Sawyer was a whim.

Another little hodgepodge.

Children's books. Some for me; some for Audrey. Not sure which is which yet. :)

I made a lot of little posters of periodical table elements to decorate for VBS. We have a lab theme. These took a lot longer than I expected. I made 15 of them and they don't look quite right, but close enough. ;)

I'm continuing to add to my scripture memorization journal. Did I mention this before?
I'll write out the bottom verse. I usually wait until I have it memorized before I draw it out.

Somebody mentioned having baby's breath in their garden. See the blobs on the hillside across the highway? It grows wild here. There's lots along the trail. This was taken out my kitchen window.
I'm currently reading:
If I like it I'll pass it along to Micah.
I have to hurry off to a picnic with the deli gals. My old manager has a lake lot, so it should be fun!
The grands ready for the 4th of July parade.

Always smiley, little Sully. :)

Glamorous Audrey.

Hazel being cheesy.

Della got a sucker for using the potty! Ha ha!
Oh yeah! I'd better get out of here or they may eat all the burgers before I get there! Love y'all!
Shalom!

7 comments:

  1. I love my field guides. I'm constantly looking at them. Your grandkids are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You really did stock up! I would love to go to the library sales but I need to find a place for more bookshelves, or become more accepting of stacks of books on the floors and tables and everywhere...

    Those foreign alphabet books look like Cyrillic to me, Russian probably.

    I loved The Living Reed! I read it on my kindle and I learned so much history in the best way, as if I were living it in Korea in those decades. Except I didn't have to suffer much! So, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures! I agree with Gretchen-Joanna Cyrillic probably Russian. I love booksales too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a mad assortment of books you found!! Lucky you.
    As I wrote on my blog I had cataract surgery this past Monday and was so uptight about it that my blood pressure shot sky high. Well, I'm here to tell you that although the procedure ( all of 10 minutes long) was mildly uncomfortable but no pain at all. Now the fuss of drops every few hours but hopefully my eyesight will improve, especially after I get my other eye done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good idea to cut up those used books for ATC backgrounds! I hope the picnic was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you're having lots of fun, and anticipating wonderful reading. The English Garden looks quite interesting :)
    I haven't had cataract surgery, but I've heard good reports from everyone around me who has. Quick with good results. I've not had carcinoma either. I had a biopsy on a lump on my back, and the only discomfort was having to hold really still and not breathe. I had moles frozen off many years ago. Again, painless. I hope all goes well!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Lisa, with heart I read your post! The basal carcinoma: I asked my husband, he is a doctor, he says its only "middle"-problem, it doest not flow forward and gets no new bad cells, but it must be removed.

    So lovely children, so big already the smallest now!! So its time for a new baby! :)

    Books are good friends.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)