Saturday, July 28, 2018

It's working!

I've been offline for a few days due to internet problems...again. I've talked to my landlady and she said her older Toshiba (kind of like mine) won't log on either, but her husband's does. So, I was kind of resigned to running into town to use the library wifi this morning. My computer does fine there! Anyway, I decided to give it one more shot this morning and, lo and behold, I have three bars of reception! Thank you, Lord! It's been mighty quiet around here for a few days, but I WILL try not to overdo the computing.

Got my new glasses and she said they might take a couple of days to get used to. I got a headache and felt cross-eyed for several hours before I decided to just put them aside and wear my old glasses for now. If they ever fall apart I'll go through the misery of adjusting to the new ones. I even like my dreaded tri-focals better than the new glasses! Okay, finished complaining for today. I'm becoming "one-of-those-old-ladies-I-never-wanted-to-be"! (I'll just slap myself a few times and get over it.)

Son Josh officially finished up his masters degree in organizational leadership a couple of days ago! He's been plugging away for a long time, and I'm so glad that's behind him. He also has a bachelor's degree in accounting. Besides his online bookkeeping jobs he also has a few jobs lined up writing copy for other people's websites. He's a good writer. He also works part-time at a grocery store. His schedule needs to have some flexibility because of his family's health problems, but God is faithful in sending work his way!  When he began working on his masters he intended to do some sort of work with a Christian non-profit but never foresaw the challenges his family would be facing. Now it will take some creativity to find a way to use his skills when he can't really commit to a full-time job outside the home. But God will provide and use the gifts he's given Josh.

I have a new friend from church named Emmaline. She's in her '70's and her husband passed away about the same time as Bob. She lives in a cute little lake cabin type of house in the country. I went and picked her up for a Bible study last Monday. In the course of our conversation I find out she's a retired art teacher! She recently applied for a grant on behalf of several local artists and she will be teaching some classes. It will be fun to get to know her better. I think we have a lot in common and she's a very sweet lady.

Tomorrow, bright and early, (7 a.m.!) I'm going to help set up for our local ecumenical church service pancake breakfast. We'll be serving breakfast from 9-9:30 and then at 10 we'll mosey across the street to that little stage I've shown you before (pic below) for a three-church worship service. It should be a good time!
Remember this little place? We won't have this band, though, lol.
I haven't been doing a great deal with ATCs, but here are some I just mailed off. This was a Ballpoint Pen Only swap.




I spent some time fiddling with my "GREAT AMERICAN NOVEL" yesterday. Do you have one in progress? Everyone should...if you like to write. I'm trying to get all my notes in some kind of order. Over the years I've changed various elements of the story and some things are starting to gel in my mind a bit. A plan is forming. In a few years I'll just jump in and write the whole thing, start-to-finish, in one fell swoop! Right? Well, the planning is fun, anyway! Nope. Not going to show you the notes. It's a superstition thing. And an embarrassment thing. They're a mess. ;)

Hope all is well with everyone! I'll stop by to visit blogs as soon as I can. Happy summer!
Shalom!

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad for your new friend, she sounds wonderful! About your glasses, a few years ago my Mom had some that gave her all sorts of trouble. They always say 'it takes some time to adjust' but what you are describing sounds like a problem with your actual prescription or the way the glasses were made. You spent $$$ to get new glasses, they should not have you be going back to glasses that are not right for you but better than the new ones. I would go in, tell them something is not write, get checked out (and NOT pay for this of course) and get whatever is wrong fixed. Seriously, my Mom had to and it was fixed and not on her dime. Again, rejoining with you that you have a new friend and a church family that is working for you! That's a real blessing! God bless you dear one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and wonderful about Josh's academic achievements! It's not easy to have a family with health issues and It sounds like he is doing everything he can to care for them and that is very valiant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered where you disappeared to for ten days.
    Sorry about your glasses. I can certainly commiserate because at this point I am using three different pairs of glasses and not one of them is really working for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to your son. I am sorry to hear that there are health issues in his family though. That is hard to bear as a mom. I know you support him fully wherever his degree takes him.

    How wonderful to meet a new friend and find out that you have so much in common. Isn't that just the greatest?! Love when that happens with people.

    I did write a novel and I had the thoughts in my head for years. I finally sat down and wrote it in "one fell swoop" and it was published. I have almost all 5 star reviews on Amazon. If I can do it---you can do it! I have one more brewing that I would like to set down but I just went back to work and gave a 2 year commitment so hope to do it after that!

    Have a blessed upcoming week- Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like things are good in your life! It's wonderful to have a good church to attend, and to find a new friend too! And a fellow artist! Sorry about the glasses. I wonder why they hurt so much? Doesn't seem like that would be good for your eyes at all.

    I hope your computer woes can be fixed. It is NO fun to have to dash somewhere else just to be online :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dearest Lisa, I read all these news with my heart and I want to say: best Lisa! You are wonderful always finding the way - this is, because you trust in the Lord. Best wishes for Josh! He really is a brave man. You can be proud of him!
    Very fine drawings! I love them all! Great work of my artfriend Lisa!

    Best greetings also to your lovely new art-friend in Christ from Dori from the Bavarian Forest!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)