Saturday, April 13, 2013

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

I chortled in my joy!

I really should start an art blog called "Cheapskate Art". I'm on the lookout for cheap materials that work for my drawing. With a tight budget I can't often spend lots of money on art materials. I've been looking for a good waterproof drawing pen that I can use watercolors with without the ink running all over.

Today I purchased two different types of Sharpies. They are "water resistant". I was looking for the word "waterproof", but these were cheap so I took a chance!

Here's the result after drawing a little lion-man face. (Don't know where THAT came from. Just started doodling.) Then I slopped on some watercolor and TA-DAH! The ink stayed put!


The Sharpies do bleed through slightly. At least the heavier one that I used for the facial features.


But that's okay with me. I usually only use one side of the page when I use watercolors because this is a sketchbook and the paper gets sort of wavy anyway.

These are the pens I used. The ultrafine one is a marker and the fine one is a pen. Hence, the ultrafine lines are actually heavier than the fine ones. I wasn't aware of the differences in Sharpie's markers and pens. Now I know.

 
I think the pens will deliver a nicer line, but they kind of scratch over the surface of the paper. Will they wear out quickly? My quest continues!

Happy artmaking on the cheap!

Shalom for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)