Friday, February 15, 2019

A sad and scary evening...



Last night about 9 p.m. I heard sirens going down our little county road. I peeked out the window and saw a string of emergency vehicles. I counted seven in all. Some police, a couple looked like firetrucks. It was dark. They seemed to slow down about 1/2 a mile down the road and I couldn't see where they went from there. I decided to post a prayer request on Facebook. It looked like something really bad must have happened.

This morning my daughter called to fill me in. One of our local boys who is about 35 had gone on a shooting spree. Apparently, it was widely known that he's had emotional problems for some time. I stood across the hall from him yesterday as we both waited to pick up children after school. You never know, do you?


I previously described what I thought had happened here in my blog, but later saw that I had a lot wrong as news reports came out. Here's a link to the news story:

Report from the Star Tribune

They have three children, one of whom is in Audrey's class. This is a tiny town with a small school, so everyone knows this young man and his family.Very sad. And another reminder that mental/emotional problems need to be taken seriously. I'm not sure if someone tried to help this man over the years, but we do need to try.

Even when our lives seem comfortable and peaceful, we never know what those around us are going through, do we? Continued prayers for this family.

In happier happenings yesterday, I went to the library book sale. I've already incorporated the new books into my library, but I tried to find all of them and take photos.

The Microshelters book was already in my collection, but the others I got yesterday. The slim, magazine-like books on the bottom were mostly written in Swedish, but had so many pretty pictures, I just had to get them. They were only a dime each.

This is one of the Swedish magazines.

Two vintage storybooks. They're really for me rather than grandkids. I think Andersen's fairy tales were really written for adults. The Hans Brinker book is thick and full of pretty illustrations.

I've got at least three bird guides now. One belongs to Audrey. I get them in case I want to paint a bird picture, or I may even identify one! Novel idea! :)

A little batch of children's books.

I like to pick up little books that Audrey might like to read. And they're kind of into paper airplanes.

I'll mainly "look at" this one. I'm not aiming for this type of intense watercolor painting. Too much work!


Dictionary text, maps and foreign language text for collages.

I also love vintage puzzles! I wonder if all of the pieces are there. Only one way to find out!
So, I think I'll get off of this computer and do some "real" stuff! It's so hard to get unhooked once you start surfing the net. But once I turn this thing off I feel like doing other things. We have a four day weekend and I had planned to have some grands come over, but Micah says everyone is sick, so I should probably stay away for now. Good advice, but I let her know she should call if she needs help.

Love you guys! Thanks for stopping by!
Shalom!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, how tragic πŸ˜³πŸ˜• Lord have mercy on this family! Will pray for them! πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™πŸ™ ❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear about that tragedy with your neighbors. I feel so sorry for his family. He was troubled, and he did not get the help that could have prevented this situation before it happened. Nobody's fault, but just so sad. I also hope his wife is okay, and I'm so, so glad that no one from your family got 'in the way' outside, that you were all safely inside your homes.
    Good finds! That's a lot of good reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a tragedy!

    I'm so sorry for this family and all, who lost their life and their friends. A faithful friend of me once said to me, we all would be able to do bad things, but the Lord holds us.


    Heaven is stronger than all enemies!

    The LORD has the best plan - also for this painful family. HE will heal them all.

    Good books you have chosen.

    Many greetings to you and to yours from Dori from the Bavarian Forest

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how sad! Prayers!
    I love your book choices!
    Take care and read, read, read this lovely four day weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)