Thursday, February 7, 2019

Winter storm...

We got socked with over 12 inches of snow today! Of course, our school district didn't even bat an eye. I wasn't about to try to drive the girls to school in it. I didn't even think I could get out of our unplowed driveway. But Adam somehow managed to do the impossible and got the girls to school. Their van had a dead battery, which they are getting replaced tonight, so my car was the only option.
After getting the girls to school he was able to take the time to plow the driveway, but the snow continued and we're still getting some snow. School has been postponed two hours in the morning.

This picture was taken out my window after I had cleared about 6 inches of snow off of my car and Adam had returned from taking the girls to school.
Yay, Bobcat!



Slogging out to the birdfeeders was an experience, but worth it to attract a few birdies. Can you see the nuthatch on the upper left feeder?

 And there's a little woodpecker below the square suet feeder. There were a couple of small woodpeckers. (Downy?) No pileateds yet.
Here are a few photos of my house "in progress".  Every room needs repainting, walls and trim, but I'm going to postpone that until warmer weather when I can open all the windows. I tried painting the smaller bedroom and got almost finished, but I began to have what I believe was a reaction to the paint fumes. The paint is supposed to have no VOC's. (Am I saying that correctly? I should go check instead of guessing.) Anyway, I thought that meant no harmful fumes, but maybe it just means less? It seemed to effect my brain, causing me to be very forgetful and just out of it. The next day I felt "normal" again. (Whatever THAT is!) But I don't want to take any chances, so I'll gladly wait on the painting for now.

This is a big desk that takes up a corner of the living room. I plan to have it hauled away, but for the time being (since the kids have enough on their plates right now)  I'm going to use it for artwork. I hope I don't get too attached to it. I really need that wall for a couch!




Across the room from the desk is my cozy couch and computing spot.
 The big old recliner is going, too. I'll be getting a new one. See all the spackling on the walls and the large square where I tried out my new paint color? I'll just have to live with those until spring. I also have curtains to put up.
There's the desk on the left. The big TV on the wall belongs to the kids. They'll be taking that out and hopefully will be able to get my TV up and running at the same time. I'm not very tech savvy or very willing to learn! I also want to replace the carpet eventually. The living room is the only room that's carpeted.

Turning around, we find ourselves in the dining room/kitchen. I've been doing Micah's laundry because their washer/dryer isn't hooked up yet. That will happen soon, and they just got some of their electrical outlets fixed today, so their kitchen is fully functional. Baby steps! Everything will get done eventually.


To give you a reference, you can see one of the dining room chairs in the lower left. Some of the kitchen cabinets are still empty. I don't have enough stuff to fill them! Not a problem. I'm trying to declutter so they'll just have to stay empty! In addition to the cabinets you see here, there  are upper and lower cabinets at the end of the dining table, and more that wrap around from the stove into the living room. Lots of cabinets! I'm storing games and art supplies in some of them.
Kind of across from the refrigerator is the laundry room. The kids left me their older washer and dryer.
Then down the hallway to the first bedroom.
This is the bedroom I got mostly painted. I'm in the process of putting up some pictures. It's cozy, and I like it a lot, but the water softener is located in the closet and makes a lot of noise at night. I believe I'll end up doing my sleeping in the larger bedroom unless I have guests, in which case I'll put up with the water softener! :)
 A closeup of my little kantha quilt. Isn't it cheerful? This particular quilt is basically two pieces of fabric quilted together (solid red on the opposite side) without batting in between. It's more of a decorative coverlet. I've seen them made with some layers of cloth in between. I think it would be fun to make one of these. The simple stitching would be meditative.
My untidy bathroom... (circa 1995)
And then the larger bedroom. Right now it's just a storage place for stuff I haven't found a place for yet. But I'll be adding a bed soon for guests. As I said, painting and curtains will happen.
That's the grand tour. I'll try to remember to update you as I get things done.

Audrey and Hazel came over for a visit after school today. The electricians were working at their house, so I thought a couple of less kids at home would make things simpler. They saw that I was working on some ATCs, so I gave them a bunch of stickers that I've collected over the years and they went wild "creating" pictures with them.


 Some of the bits and pieces I was working with.
Resulting in these 8 APC's. (Artist Playing Cards)
I had intended to do drawings for the bird cards, but with the girls here it was easier to just do some collage. 
School's two hours late tomorrow. I'm only responsible for picking them up after school, so I shouldn't have to get up particularly early. Poor Adam and Micah keep having to put house finishing on the back burner just to keep cars running and snow plowed. This weather will pass, and little by little, I trust, things will be completed. Tomorrow they have to run to Fargo because Adam has purchased a truck. He's been borrowing an old, tired pickup from his dad, but really needs something dependable because he does a lot of heavy work. The one he's buying is used, but I pray it's in much better shape and will give him some good service for some time to come.

Life seems to be a series of happenings intended to test our faith and perseverance. Not a novel idea, I know. God is able to meet all of our needs. Every day we get more practice trusting Him.

You all stay warm and keep your eyes on Him.
Shalom!

5 comments:

  1. so much SNOW!!! Yes, we are given lots of opportunities to trust in God to provide for us!!! your new place is so lovely!!! and an extra bedroom for guests, how nice! and laundry too! It's already very nice! I like that simple quilt too, those stitches look so calming to make! It WILL all get done and be smoothed out in time!!! God bless you!!! and your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! That snow is overwhelming! I like your cute house in the woods. I think it's fun to get settled, little by little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many things to love here, and comment on... (not the snow - it's past that point!) That is a pretty quilt -- you are making things so homey, and everything homey and warm is even more so, by contrast with the challenging weather outside!

    I can see why you want that desk gone - where will you do your art when it is? I'm glad you have a lot of space to work with, as you make your home. Empty cupboards are a splendid thing, as long as they aren't *all* empty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so true - daily life is full of things like bad weather, car trouble, illness, mistakes, things we forget, etc. that do repeatedly test our character and our trust in God. Sounds like the weather is making life hard for y'all, and delaying so many of the plans you've longed for. I hope it warms and melts soon, at least for a bit! I thoroughly enjoyed the tour of your new home. I ought to do that kind of tour too, but my house is too messy, esp. our bedroom! Also, I think you're right about the paint fumes. In an closed room they are overwhelming. Take care, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Lisa, what a weather! I always think about your climate, because in radio they told in your region about very warm weather - but I see, there still is wild winter!

    The rooms are so peaceful inspite of all storms. Jesus makes the storms quiet, so I see your heart is always in peace.



    I like the bird-houses and your home!

    Many greetings and have a blessed and sheltered Sunday,
    your Dori from the Bavarian Winterforest

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)