Saturday, June 22, 2019

An extra mile...

It's been a restful Saturday on the old homestead. I did a little "art", meaning some APCs (Altered Playing Cards), took a nap (the whole family did), then took a 3 mile walk. I had to add on an extra mile to get photos of some flowers I wanted to post here. :)

I've been doing this APC swap for quite some time. We're working our way through a deck (or two, depending on whether you do one group or two). The gal who hosts the swap suddenly disappeared, but it sounds like she'll be back eventually when things calm down in her life. So, I'm continuing to make these cards so I'll be prepared when she returns. This is my bird group.


I've also been digging out all of my acrylic paints and a few canvases. Maybe I'll jump back into the 5x7 canvas swap. I'm feeling like trying something different. I've been watching a series of YouTube videos called "Landscape Artist of the Year" and "Portrait Artist of the Year". They're British shows and in each episode a group of artists have four hours to paint a portrait or landscape. At the end of the season someone wins the whole thing and they get to do some big commissioned work. These can be addictive, and at 45 minutes long, they can eat up your evening. But they are interesting to watch.
Here's a sample episode, though I haven't watched this particular one.

Landscape Artist of the Year

Anyway, it's inspired me to do some painting!

Josh found some flowers while running down the horseback riding trail yesterday.This is the only bunch he saw on the whole trail. They're purple and yellow irises. I followed his directions and found them to take these pics. The horse trail runs parallel to the trail I walk on.



Purple Vetch-small but pretty.

Lots of wild roses!

I thought this graceful branch of maple leaves looked nice against the dark background. We have very few maples. I think this one's a youngster.
 Does anyone know what these little flowers are? The blossoms are about 3/4" across and they have the geranium type leaves you can see best in the middle photo. Still not sure what they are.



Not sure about these either, but they were cute.
 I was so thrilled to find this little group of flowers in the underbrush. I almost missed them! These are called "Small Yellow Lady Slippers". I had to wade through the poison ivy to get close enough to take a picture. They really are small! Our state flower is the Showy Lady Slipper, which is huge compared to these.


 And my chariot await(ed). I'm not sure what that trail is that the sign points to. I lack curiosity, I guess, lol.
And so a pleasant day was had. But it started out with my daily reading in my Streams in the Desert devotional. I'm sharing this here because it really spoke to me. Amen, Lord. I hope it blesses you as you go through challenging times. It happens a lot in life, eh?
(I'm reading out of order. This is the May 13th entry.)



 I love you folks, and I love following your lives through your blogs! We're all so different, aren't we? It makes life interesting.

Have a great Sunday and shalom to all!


4 comments:

  1. Your wildflowers are so dainty and sweet. I'm no good at figuring out what flowers are even if I have 3 different books to identify them. I'm never sure if I have the right one. I guess its best just to enjoy them.
    You walked THREE miles? Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Lisa, it is so powerful to read Christian spirituality in the morning and/or in the evening. It is like necessary bread.

    What fine wild-flowers! I like Iris very much, also the wild roses. and hoe sweet the little yellow shoes are!

    The small violet-flowers are very nice, but I also don't know their name.

    The birds of your cards are very beautiful!

    It is a good inspiration to inform about artist.work and ways. Fine that you begin with new acryl-colour-ideas (if I understand right).

    Greetings and blessings to big walker Lisa from Dori from the summer-Bavarian-Forest with several wild flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, I can see how those lovely powerful words from this beautiful older devotional book impacted you! Lord have mercy! Lovely land and flowers you can see and take pictures of! so nice that you can still make art! I hope the woman who was doing the ATCs has her life calm down; I always worry when I hear of people unable to do what they had been doing, life can really "throw" things unexpectedly in our lives!!! May God help us all! Sending you a big HUG!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flowers are lovely, although I can't help you with identification -- not my skill set :) Irises are so gorgeous. I'm so, so glad you are getting some inspiration to paint again! That's important, and we need a nudge sometimes.

    Thank you for that devotional reading. His descriptions are so accurate! That "Love" passage says it all, doesn't it? Bear all things, endure all things, believe all things. The commandment is so simple, but so difficult -- to love.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)