Friday, March 16, 2018

Dave and Goliath...

Wednesday night was AWANA night. Do you have AWANA at your church? It's a youth program for preschool through elementary that my kids, and now my grandkids, participate(d) in where they learn Bible stories and memorize scripture along with a game time. Audrey and Hazel really enjoy their time there. I volunteer with the older girls, and Micah and the babies enjoy the nursery, where Micah helps out.

Anyway, we were visiting with Hazel's Cubbies leader, Mrs. Blake, in the hallway afterwards and she's always so enthusiastic about what they're doing with the kids. (She's Hazel's favorite.) She was asking Hazel questions about the Bible story they had dramatized during Cubbies, which is the preschool part of AWANA. Mrs. Blake had a slingshot in her hand that someone had fashioned out of a long strip of sweatshirt material. Hazel and Audrey were very much into the idea of slinging a stone at someone and knocking them out! Then Mrs. Blake asked Hazel, "What was the name of the young shepherd who used this slingshot to slay the giant, Goliath?" Hazel looked puzzled for a moment, clearly not recalling such a mundane detail. After all, she had been paying much more attention to the part about throwing rocks! Mrs. Blake leaned down and whispered a hint in her ear. A smile spread across Hazel's face and she said, "Oh yeah! Dave!"  Ha ha!! We all had a good laugh at the thought of Dave and Goliath. It just doesn't sound quite right, does it? :)
In case you don't know which one is Hazel, lol. Micah needs to take more pics of the girls. Sully's kind of been hogging the photo shoots lately. :)  BTW, she's showing you her tooth that she just pulled out. That was a while back.
 Two treats came my way today. A letter from MK and two books that I'd requested from the library. Thanks for the nice note, MK! And the pretty bookmark! I'm glad you're enjoying the Charlotte Bronte book. The forward was SO LONG, but I was glad to learn that I was reading the original edition of the book rather than the "edited-to-death" version. I'll have to get some pretty stationery or note cards so I can write some snail mail. Or maybe I'm too impatient for that? Ha ! I've been enjoying Dr. Robinson's TED Talks and thought I'd try out a couple of his books. MK, I think it was you that posted that first TED Talk, right? Thanks, again!

Here are some of my latest ATC's for a Favorite Animals swap...



 I don't recall if I showed this one already. It was for a private trade. What can I say; the gal wanted an opossum (or possum, as we call them in my neck of the woods).
I'll be settling in to do some reading and movie watching tonight. I hope you all have pleasant plans for this evening and the weekend!
God bless and shalom. :)

8 comments:

  1. Oh yes! Dave and Goliath. I have memories of hilarious re enactments of that story when my boys were young. Unfortunately they had also read the part where Dave cuts Goliath's head off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very nice kind of making the Bible alive for children. Good teachers are the basis of the future in faith! I love your beautiful animal-watercolours!
    Hazel is such a wonderful girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH! A TOOTH IN HAZEL'S HAND! :) BRAVE, HAZEL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the story of Dave and Goliath, Lisa. Your ATCs are delightful. You do so well with animals, a skill I do not have. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're very welcome, Lisa :) I did enjoy that TED talks very much. He was clever. I felt like leaving a comment on the video to tell him HE missed his real vocation: a stand-up comic :) Evidently he did that talk without any notes or planning.
    I like those animal ATCs - very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's cute! Dave!
    I love the anteater!
    That MK! I love her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I think it fits perfectly. My Dave slew more than a few Goliath's for me. I've missed the posts about your upcoming move; how many I pray for you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting my blog, Lisa. Hope you are having a great weekend and that you find a little time to do some art. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)