Monday, March 5, 2018

Snow day!

The grands got a snow day today. The first of the year! It didn't seem all that bad when I made a quick trip across the highway to go to the post office and store for essentials. But just after I got home the wind really kicked up blowing snow like crazy. We had icy rain last night, so the ice sheet underneath probably has something to do with the snow day. Maybe they know something's coming before school would have been out. I think Jody's wind has reached us!

Anyway, I'm glad to be snug at home with no place I have to go. I have lots of books and art projects to keep me entertained.

This is the beginning of an ATC I'm painting for what's called the Monthly Contest over at ATCs for All. You enter an ATC based on a theme (Waterscapes this month.) and then they have a vote. The 2 top winners get a prize of some art materials. This is just the first layer of watercolor. I plan to work on it a little at a time instead of rushing, like I usually do. It has to be entered by the end of March.
More layers to come! I will also do some ink lines after the painting is all finished.


Reference photo.
For this painting I'm using some very cheap paints from Walmart. They're sort of hard and chalky, but I kind of like the effect. They almost look moldy on top when they dry, but that happens within minutes of using them, so I don't think it's mold. I couldn't resist the large selection of bright colors! (Although, they're actually very pastel when you use them.)


As for reading material, I'm going through a children's book phase again, so I'm reading books about writing for children...
...AND I'm reading some actual children's books to see how different authors write for the age I'm interested in writing for. These are Magic Finger by Roald Dahl and Blubber by Judy Blume. I disliked the content of both, but I'm getting some ideas about dialogue and length of chapters, etc. I know Judy Blume is famous for her "honesty", but I found the book depressing. Better to talk to a kid about bullying than immerse him/her in a whole book about it. Anyway, I think by reading many more books in this age range (10-12 year olds) I'll start to develop a better feel for how to write them.
These three I haven't read yet.
My favorites at this age were horse books. I might have to try one of those, eventually! :)

I'm also taking a FREE watercolor painting class online. It's the sort of thing you can do at any time, once they post the video. So, if you never get around to it, nobody is the wiser!
Strathmore Watercolor Workshop

I hope you all have something fun to do today! Thanks for visiting!
Shalom. :)

5 comments:

  1. My kids enjoyed Roald Dahl's books but I don't remember one called Magic Finger. I believe we liked the All of a Kind Family books too.

    Snow, wind and ice make for treacherous roads. Good that you can stay home safe and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your watercolor! I look forward to seeing how it turns out. Fun. My kids loved horse books, especially Marguerite Henry's stories. I liked them too. I'm glad you were well prepared for your snow day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adventure to start a new painting! The beginning of your watercolour looks very free and light. You have chosen such a fine landscape with mountains, light and trees...

    I' always very interested in weather anywhere!

    I have two sisters, who also read a lot. Books are best friends, if they are good! I appreciate you to read books and to criticize them, if they don't fulfil their task!I just (since I have so many animals) am able to read a few words a day. And my eyes are only strong for painting-making :)

    Greetings to your snow and home from the Bavarian forest! What a winter this season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might have to check out that watercoloring workshop - thanks! Your ATC is very nice. I struggle with knowing which part of a painting I should do first -- planning it. I could use help with that. Glad the kiddoes got a snow day :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)