Friday, August 24, 2018

Rainy day doings...

What do you do on a cool, drizzly day?
Not much left of my flowers.
I had the urge, early this morning, to reframe some pictures. I had a "vintage" owl print on my wall in a very flimsy little metal frame. I had found some sturdy old wood frames with just the right touch of rusticity (is that a word?) and decided to reframe my owl. When I removed the owl print from its old frame I found a second print behind it! What a treat! :)

This cool stuff was on the back of the owl print.

The "bonus" print!
I used this frame for the owl...
I like the fact that these two frames (another coming up) are rather beaten up. It adds to their lake cabin charm. ;)
Here's the frame I used for the flowers. See the holes on the top and bottom of the frame? I guess that's one way to hang a picture! Once again, charming to me!
The Pepsi sign and the mountain scene are still in the frames behind my prints. They were both glued to the backing, so I decided not to fight with them.
This frame has sort of a tree bark texture which I thought was cool.


 I was able to remove this hanger from the old owl frame and reuse it.

This was the "hanger" that was on the back of the mountain picture. Looks like something I'd come up with!

 In other "art" I've been making some inchies. I've just been making some with themes of my own choosing. Now don't faint, but I must confess to cutting up an old Dick and Jane reader. (Gasp!) Yes, it was difficult at first, but I thought this way someone else could enjoy the cute artwork which would otherwise languish on my shelves. I do have another one that I will keep intact. When I've used up all of the pictures I can also make the cover into a little journal.
I just wish someone hadn't written on the cover!

Aw. Aren't they cute? I love this perfect little family, lol.
I have fond memories of the Dick and Jane readers from my school years. Fortunately, we also learned phonics along with these "see and say" readers. The family may have seemed "too perfect", but I found them very sweet.

I'm currently reading another Julie Klassen novel. Next in line will be one of the other two books in this photo. Going through my shelves I see SO MANY books I want to get to. Some of them children's books. Such a nice feeling to have so many good things waiting on the shelves, right?
Well, I should make myself presentable. Micah will be coming by to pick me up. We've decided to go to town together so I can help wrangle kids at the grocery store. I only  have a couple of quick errands otherwise. My wifi has been working "tolerably well" for the last couple of days, so I won't have to spend a lot of time at the library like I thought I might. Yay! Hope it keeps working!

All of you have a jolly good day and a wonderful weekend!
Shalom and love!

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad it's the weekend- I've been back at school two days, with not even any kids in yet, and I am pooped! I learnt to read with maybe the UK equivalent- Peter and Jane. Can't remember what the dog was called. I did so love those books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's cool that there's a UK version! :) You'll have to build up those teaching muscles again, eh? :)

      Delete
    2. http://www.smart-jokes.org/go-to-school-teacher.html

      Obviously I'm just the assistant, but the sentiment is sometimes the same!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad your wifi is cooperating again! That's much more convenient, plus we out here have been missing you.
    I like the flower print and the cool, rustic frame with it. Very nice. I need to find some frames that will work with a few of the paintings I've done this year - not all of them, but 2 or 3 that I really like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just imagine, if you hadn't removed the Owl picture you wouldn't have known about the neat sketches on the back. Your rustic frames are perfect for the Owl and Autumn flowers too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so fun to see your creativity and resourcefulness demonstrated on these pictures and frames. And I really like your use of an unwanted book. Dick and Jane readers I don't believe were as bad as people make them out to be - and the pictures are charming! As a child I didn't find the stories exactly gripping, but I had other more interesting things to read at home or from the library. And certainly the book itself is not a sacred item that should be kept untouched in a safe (or on a bookshelf), especially since it's already been defaced :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. A cool rainy day...most welcome! Although, I'm still unpacking boxes but the up side is, it's like shopping for free. I'm finding stuff I didn't remember I was missing.
    Hopefully, that makes sense...lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)