Saturday, August 17, 2019

Ditching things that aren't working...

Elizabeth mentioned in a comment that it's a good thing to ditch a book if it's not interesting. Couldn't agree more. Too many books, too little time! I've found the same to be true of a Netflix series. ("Anne With an E" to be specific.) I'm deep into season 2 and suddenly it seems that the screenwriters have hijacked the original author's idea and are using it to promote whatever lifestyles and viewpoints they like. Those of us who disagree are, of course, prudes and mean-spirited things. Oh well. Not surprising. I guess I'll have more time for reading now!

I did finish The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen Year Old Boy With Autism. It only took a couple of hours to read and was full of insight into the autistic mind. Of course, there are many degrees of autism. This boy is on the severe end of the spectrum and communicates by tapping out letters on a cardboard keyboard. He does a magnificent job of explaining what he's feeling. I highly recommend it!

I think I'll attempt some lawn mowing. I hope it's not too hot.
Y'all be good!
Shalom!

9 comments:

  1. oh dear! I am so sorry to hear that about the wonderful story of Anne of Green Gables :( I will join you in not watching that one! Nice about the book! Take care mowing the lawn, that's not easy work! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hardly ever watch a series, but I've seen and heard bits of "Call the Midwife" from the other room, and I felt that way about it. I had read the book and it was about the time and place it was about. From the script I heard it seemed that TV series has appropriated it for preaching 21st century social politics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, both shows seemed anxious to promote homosexuality and feminism. It's a shame. They could have been interesting otherwise.

      Delete
  3. Only GOOD books are good friends. So you do right choosing the best!

    Do you know that lovely GRETA is lso with Autism? Greta set Friday for future into life - -

    Best greetings and blessings to you and to your great family from Dori from the Bavarian Forest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't like that Anne either. Nobody can top Kevin Sullivan's Anne with Megan Follows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope it's cooler in your yard than it is here! Outrageous heat is the name of the game in NC now.
    I agree about the Anne with an E series. I watched an episode or two, and just did not like all the license they were taking with the story. I understand adaptations, but they change in the tone was what I didn't like. Anyway ... you're right that we have to know when to put something down that is wasting our time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, I can't believe all the posts I've missed. Somehow your blog ( and a couple of others) disappeared from my blog list, which I depend on to let me know someone has a new post. I just figured you were too busy to post anything. Finally I came here to see what I could find out and THEN I clued in to 'your' disappearance. I've just caught up with the unread posts. I hope sweet Hazel's arm is healing. Sully is a force to be reckoned with!

    BTW What's up with the strange comments that have been left?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)