Thursday, February 8, 2018

Book sale haul...

Yup, book sale time again!
I was determined to exercise some self-control today. I did manage to buy less than usual, but I shopped among the slightly more expensive books instead of the 10 cent room. (Hardbacks 50 cents; paperback 25 cents; children's books 10 cents.) I got some bios, some literature and some children's books. (Some of those children's books are really art inspiration for me!)

I've read The Pilgrim's Progress a couple of times, but it's been a while. I've always wanted to try The Inferno.

I couldn't leave that little BP book behind! The other little book has pretty miniature paintings in it which I thought might work for collages.

For some reason I'm a fan of Skippyjon, the cat who thinks he's a chihuahua, lol. Audrey might like the nature stories and I'll read it, too!

I like stories of lady shepherds. Vicarious farm-work.

The Greece travel guide has lots of pretty pictures, once again for collage. The other book I've wanted to read for a while.

Grandkid books. (After Grandma admires the pictures.)

I think Audrey will enjoy these. She gobbles down information!

These are for me. Lots of cool artwork!

I read The Gulag Archipelago when I was a teenager, so I thought this might be good, too.

I'm doing the Goodreads Reading Challenge, so I can't complain about having nothing to read. My current book is The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen.
Yes, she's the same author I was complaining about for using sentences from Austen and Bronte books. She does a lot less of that here, though I did notice such surnames as Elliot and Willoughby. I have to admit she's done a fair amount of research, and this one is interesting. She's a Christian author, so the romance angle is refreshingly innocent.

That's all my news for now. Thanks for coming to visit!
Have a cozy evening!
Shalom.

10 comments:

  1. Ooo - I see one book I'd borrow from you if I lived up north!! Gaskell's biography of Bronte -- I'm so jealous!!! One of these days, I'm going to read that book. I love anything about the Brontes, and I love Gaskell too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, but I may have already read it! I'll have to look at it. One of the children's books I bought for the grands I already gave them before, lol. Duh.

      Delete
  2. What fun!! Have you read Ivanhoe before? I remember the year I read that, when I discovered anew as an adult how enriching novels can be, while I was pregnant with my fourth child. I loved it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No! I think I got it at the sale before and redonated it because I wasn't sure I would ever read it. I'll hang onto it this time!

      Delete
  3. I always like to see what books you chose at any book sale or thrift store!! I guess because I love coming home with bookish treasures. Right now I'm enjoying Heidi and it's taking me back to when I first read it as a child.
    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You found some great reads, Lisa! I think I'd like to read The First Circle one of these days. I know my mom read it years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good idea selling or buying cheep good and nice used books! Have a fine reading-time, dear Lisa!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)