Thursday, February 15, 2018

Cultural studies...

I was enjoying Gretchen's final blog post about her 7 week visit to Mumbai. She talked about the Dharavi slums that she was able to tour. I wanted to learn more, so I found a YouTube documentary about it. There are two episodes. Kevin McCloud spent a couple of weeks living among the people of the slum and it is quite an eye opening experience. Extremely squalid and gross, but the people are quite inspiring. YouTube is so great for finding out more about other people and cultures!


 In my quest for better health I discovered that I may be sensitive to MSG. I got a flushed face and little itchy spots after eating a salad with Ranch dressing. This particular Ranch dressing contained MSG. So, after getting rid of that and checking for MSG in other foods I've been doing pretty well. Unfortunately, I had to get rid of all my Campbell's Chunky Soups! I guess MSG is what makes things tasty! As it turns out, a diet of clean, unprocessed, natural foods is the best thing to avoid problems. Who knew? LOL. I guess there's no getting around it!

 I've been taking my ATC swaps one at a time and trying to enjoy doing art more. Here are my latest for a Cat swap.



 My dear daughter-in-law, Brooke, is launching a little business selling jewelry made by artisans from third world countries. It's not a big money maker, but instead, she's doing it to help these artisans to make a better living. I'm browsing around her site and will buy one or two things to be supportive. I really don't wear jewelry, but I keep hoping I might. :) If you'd like to look around I'll put a link here.
Brooke Richards-Noonday Collection 

At first the items may seem expensive, but they are handmade which is a labor intensive process. Besides helping these artisans, Brooke also works as a substitute ESL teacher for immigrants through Catholic Charities Diocese of Ft. Worth and as a grant writer for a non-profit out of Oregon. She really loves to do things to help people. I'm proud to be her mom-in-law!

My next foray into the culture of India will be to watch the movie "The Lunchbox". Looks intriguing! It can be rented through YouTube (and probably Amazon) for $2.99.

Time for bed! Thanks for tuning in, and see you next time!
Shalom!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've identified MSG as an irritant. I have also found it to be so but it doesn't always do that. Don't know why that is but best is just to avoid it if possible,
    That first cat looks positively smug! But cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the expression on the face of that first kitty cat up there - hilarious! Nice work. You know, I have another bloggy friend who is intent on healthy eating. She called Campbell's soups "cream of chemical soup," and shared recipes for making your own soup bases without all the additives (including MSG), and much more delicious. Might be worth looking into, so you don't have to sacrifice your soup starters :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)