Saturday, February 1, 2014

Busy Saturday...AND 29 Faces!

First of all I'd better get my "Face of the Day" on record! Today begins the 29 Faces Challenge for February! I chose to do a portrait of none other than Charles Dickens. His name was mentioned in an ATC swap, so that's where the idea came from. If only I had drawn him on an ATC I could have killed two birds with one stone, so to speak! Click the 29 Faces button on the right to see more faces!



It's been one of those Saturdays full of errands to do and a few business matters that I haven't looked forward to. But now it seems I'm on the "other side" of all of that and have time to blog and draw! Woo hoo! I had to drive to the bank and drop off garbage at the "dump", about a 23 mile trip. Then on my way back I took my car for an oil change at Walmart. I also exchanged some slippers my daughter had given me for Christmas (too small) and shopped for groceries.

 
The slippers my dd bought me were more "grown-up" than these, but they didn't have any in my size. I like these fuzzy slippers!
 
 
I splurged and bought myself some colorful pens and some new ultra-fine black pens.
 
 
I also bought three new tops. I've gone through my closets and bagged up so much that I never wear.
 
As you can tell I have fairly simple taste in clothes. I've never been very interested in fashion. As long as I'm not naked! This blue shirt reminds me of the Levi workshirts we always wore in the '70's.
 
 
I love the color of this shirt. Matches my fuzzy slippers!
I was telling my daughter how I'd splurged on shirts and markers and we were laughing at my idea of splurging! Walmart shirts and Sharpies!
 
 
I've been trying to eat healthy, but I just couldn't resist!
 
 
Now I'm getting healthier! I know I should probably buy salmon steaks, but frankly I prefer something I can open and eat quickly. I've been buying salmon in cans, but by the time I finish the can the salmon is beginning to taste a little shop worn!  These are just right for individual servings and fairly reasonably priced.
 
 
More cheating! My mom loves Milanos, so these are in her honor. Of course, I'll be the one eating them! The Fig Newtons are to feed my grandgirls when I babysit! (I bought lots of little snacky items to put in my granny bag.) The potato chips are for tomorrow when a friend is coming for lunch.
 
My friend, Joyce, doesn't care much for chocolate, so I thought lemon  bars sounded kind of delish! This will be my first time having a friend over since Bob went home to be with the Lord. Actually, we've never been ones for having company over even though Bob was quite the outgoing person. I think he preferred to go to town and visit around. I grew up in a family where we just didn't have company over. We were a band of hermits, I think, though I didn't realize it at the time. :) I'd like to cultivate my hospitality skills, though I suppose I'll always be a bit of a recluse. It's in the genes!
Haven't decided on whether to have chicken stir-fry or sloppy joes. I'll just ask Joyce what she prefers when she gets here! We have lots of catching up to do!
 
 
One of my other splurges is books. I'm always coming across a title that sounds interesting. In my life before widowhood I never would have bought so many books (except at the library book sale), but now I feel like it's okay. I'm trying to be a little less stingy with myself. Besides, I'm pretty good at finding books for .01 + the standard $4 shipping fee from Amazon. A pretty cheap book! I'm still going through my fascination with Orthodox Christianity and monasticism, so that's the story behind these book
 
Have a great and cozy evening and much shalom!

7 comments:

  1. I did a historical personage as well, I did Lord Byron. I was surprised to see all the other stuff you posted about, but i did like your Dickens.

    Http://mimitabby.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you have been treating yourself. I like your new shirts and your new slippers, too. Kathleen Norris is fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are really good at drawing!!! Other than that difference and probably a big age difference, you and I have a lot in common. My dh went to be with Jesus in October so I know the pain of loss. We also were not into entertaining and loved our life out here in togetherness. We had our interests that took us out several times a week but not a whole lot of folks visited us. I have been buying salmon pieces at the grocery. But I'm scared of the gas grill so I broil them inside. But you beat me by a long mile with grands. I have only one unmarried granddaughter who is in grad school..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful drawing and I agree with your taste in clothes. Keep it simple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great portrait - lots of personality! And hooray for a day of errands finally done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew I liked you! :) I have both of those Kathleen Norris books, and love them both. I'm a new Anglican, so the monasticism, etc., appeals to me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also love those foil packages of salmon - so easy and quick and healthy, great for car trips! And your blue shirt looks very much like one of my old favorites. I would love to not worry about clothes.
    I'm very much admiring you for your Faces project!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)