Saturday, April 27, 2019

A new walking route...

Since spring has sprung, sort of, I'm trying to get back to walking. That, and my chiropractor said I needed to keep moving instead of sitting here staring at a computer screen. I'm not sure what good it does in that respect, but I need to do it anyway! (I still have the pain in my neck. I went Thursday and have an appointment for Monday. This has been going on since Good Friday! Should I go to a "regular" doctor if it's not better soon? It usually doesn't last this long. Just asking for medical advice, that's all, lol.)

Anyway, Micah and I decided to measure the distance for walking purposes of the road that starts right across the county road from us. Does that make sense? It goes along for about a mile and then has a large loop at the end, and that's it. It must be the end of a peninsula and it has many driveways going off of it for lake homes. If I walk all the way to the end and around that loop and then walk home, it's 2.3 miles. A good distance. Today I walked a mile in the morning and another in the afternoon. I probably won't walk any extreme distances until my neck is better. But 1-2 miles is do-able. (Is that a word?)

Here I'm leaving my house...

We still look pretty wintery around here with our naked trees. Some rain is probably needed to green things up. See the road that continues straight ahead when I cross the county road? That's where I'm headed.
Yeah, no elk around these parts. But that's the road I'm going to be walking on. People often think our driveway is part of this road since this sign sits right at the end of our drive.
One of many deer prints I came across.

 While I was walking an SUV passed me going in the same direction, hit their brakes and then backed up. It turned out to be a lady I know from the Church of Christ. Remember last summer when I went to the Church of Christ and helped with vacation Bible school? This was one of my favorite ladies who I would really like to know better. She lives just a mile down the road from me! I had no idea! She invited me to stop in for coffee any time. I'll be walking right past her house when I do the whole route. That is one of those God-incidences!

This road has no shoulder! I'm not used to walking on roads, but people were pretty good about giving me space. And since it's a dead end, there isn't much traffic.
 At this point I had already turned around and headed back toward home.
Remember, shadows add ten pounds! Right? :)

The wind was whistling through the pines!


Most of the woods around here are actually pine plantations which were planted to replace all the natural woods that had been cut down for lumber. I really don't care for the rows of single species of trees. But I guess it's better than bare land.

There's the old home place. It will be green eventually!

And the field to the south of us.
I didn't take many pictures because I didn't want folks to think I was photographing their houses. We backwoods people value our privacy! 

When I got back from my walk Adam and Micah were packing the kids up to take them to their "other Grandma Lisa's" house. Yesterday was Micah and Adam's 10th anniversary, so Grammy and Grampy are taking the kids for the evening so M & A  can go to a movie and probably visit Menards for some house building supplies. Not a fancy evening, but it's what they want to do. (I'm not fancy, so it sounds like fun to me!) I snapped these pics of the kids being loaded into the van.
Sully was making a funny face. Neither of them look too impressed.

The girls were excited. :)
So, that was my day pretty much. Josh and family went to Bemidji for a good part of the day, so besides my walks I did spend a lot of time on the computer. There's not a lot I can do comfortably otherwise. (I did do some laundry and dishes!) I think my neck pain is improving. (Or maybe it's the two Advil I just took.) It's just irritating and I'm oversensitive to this sort of pain.

Maybe I'll fiddle around with some ATCs later. I hope you're all reveling in your summer-like weather!

Thanks for looking in on my little world and much shalom to everyone! :)



5 comments:

  1. I really liked seeing where you live and where you walk. I love the wide open spaces; I never meant to live in a town/city but it happened anyway.
    My DH ended up at the ER one morning this week after an awful night of terrible neck pain. Turns out not much could be done about it ( the doctor did give him some T3's though). This 'wry neck' seems to have been the result of some heavy duty digging followed by a fall. Hmmm. I keep reminding him he is 76 years old and should not be digging nor falling. But look who is talking. I was the one who tripped and nearly broke my leg not a month ago.
    I hope your neck pain is helped by the chiropractor.
    And how lovely that that pleasant woman lives very close to your place!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is your neck any better? I would be moaning back along to my doctor right about now! I do think that walking helps though. My father does not complain of pain when he is in some degree of daily mobility, but gets into awful pain when he doesn't. And then of course he doesn't want to move and it becomes a vicious circle. Your loop sounds a better circle to be in. I have a dodgy knee that needs lots of walking to stay strong x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also- that's a lovely God-story with your coffee stop friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the experts give you a plan of action for your neck. If not, read what I wrote on Granny's blog ;-)

    Those look like good walking roads. The side of the road, I suppose, will soon have tall grass, so you can't walk there...? Anyway, long and straight, and the drivers can see you and move over if necessary. It doesn't look like it would be easy to get lost!

    I need to start walking more regularly again, now that the weather is warmer and always dry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh dear, I hope that neck pain is better. keep taking care of yourself! great that you are walking! Try to keep good posture when you are at the computer. A big gentle HUG!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)