Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Am I getting ahead of myself here?

The cashier at the local Fleet Supply store smiled at me as if to say, "Don't you realize it's only March 4th and there's still 2 feet of snow on the ground, lady?" My cart contained about 10 seed packets, some peat pots, seed starter mix, a garden fork and...an ice scraper for my windshield. I actually went into the store with the simple intent of pricing garden forks. Then I saw it and had to have it! After all, in a few weeks there will be a run on the store and I may not be able to find one!

Ain't she beautiful? Standing next to her is my hoe, purchased last summer. I plan to do all of my gardening with these two implements because my veggie/flower bed is pretty small and I've had nothing but problems with tillers.

I'm not really that far ahead of schedule. I'm going to attempt to grow some Foxglove this year and according to the package they need to be refrigerated for 4-6 weeks before planting. Better start now!
I don't know if our area is a great one for Foxgloves, but I figure it can't hurt to try!

I probably need to begin my tomato seeds soon and I'll also start the acorn and hubbard squash because they never seem to make it when I sow them directly in the garden. I look forward to freezing my own snow peas for stir fries. The zucchini, summer squash, cukes and lettuce should flourish without too much work on my part and I look forward to seeing the morning glories climbing all over and the sunflowers (and hopefully foxgloves) shooting skyward.

This is a lot of variety for my little garden, but I think I can tuck it all in. Much of it has to be eaten fresh, so I'll probably be giving some away. The acorn and hubbard squashes can be stowed away in a dry, cool corner of the house.

Here is what my garden looks like at the moment.
Yup, the wagon wheels are at this end of the garden. That's where the morning glories will climb, and maybe the peas. There should be lots of moisture in the ground once the snow melts! The object at the far left is an old cream separator. The silver object at the right is the other side of the garden. The plot is pretty much a square. Yes, it's small, but I think I can then handle the work with hand implements. (The tracks at the top of the picture are from deer...I hope!)

Here's a sketch I did about an hour ago for Paper, Paint, Pencils and Pens which is a blog where we sketch according to a theme. For this two week period the theme is "Kitchens". (I came up with that brilliant idea.)
As I said..."sketch"! A very quick drawing and then some paint splashed on. Very fun and relaxing! I describe it in more detail at the PPP&P blog. I enjoyed doing this in a very loose, cartoonish style because I usually stress too much over all the details. In real life my windows are the same size, lol!

Spring WILL come! Hang in there everybody and let's see what your gardening plans are and shalom for now!

2 comments:

  1. Yes, let's buy seeds and garden tools! I love your kitchen piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect items...garden tools & Ice scraper.....which do I use first? I love it!!! That cashier probably thought either this lady has lost her mind or she is prepared and wishing spring into happening! LOL! Look forward to seeing your starts Lisa....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)