Thursday, January 4, 2018

Breakfast with some old friends...

Last evening I woke from a nap (fell asleep on the couch while reading) and found a Facebook message inviting me to come to breakfast this morning with a few gals I used to work with at the deli! I was so excited! I'd been missing my friends from work and wondering how we could all get together. A couple of the ladies had been making a plan and decided to just jump in and DO IT. There were only four of us this morning, but we're hoping to make a monthly thing of it and hoping a couple more can come. We've all retired or left the deli except one younger gal who still works there. It was fun catching up. It's been 10 months since I've seen any of them other than on Facebook! I've had a problem with getting my introverted self out and about to meet new people. This is an answer to prayer!

After visiting for a couple of hours I decided to wander around town and do a few errands. I'd like to make as few trips to Park Rapids each month as I can, so I tried to think of things I needed to do. I dropped off some items at the thrift store that I've been carrying around in my car for a long time.  Then I drove a few blocks to Ben Franklin's to pick up a 5x7 canvas for my monthly canvas swap. I could only find a 6x6 one, so I bought it and I'm hoping they'll let me use it this month. If not, I'll just sit out this month's swap. I also went to another thrift shop looking for some large knitting needles and also made a stop at Walmart. So, here's what I got below.

The canvas is from Ben Franklin's and the little card of rick rack is from the thrift store. She threw that in for free. I thought it would be a cute embellishment for some of my collaged ATCs. Above the canvas you see two bottles of India ink (one black, the other burnt umber) that I'll use with my dip pens and the bamboo pens. I also have a stamp pad coming to use with my stamps.


 Below are the fat knitting needles which I wanted for knitting a scarf. I have some fatter ones and some thinner ones, but these are juuuuust right. :) The thrift store has bunches of needles for $2 pair. The trick is finding a complete pair! I also got some white erasers to begin practicing stamp making. I have some ordered, but my cutting tools already arrived and I don't want to wait for the erasers! I also got a little pad of notepaper for writing notes to tuck in the envelope when I mail ATCs.
 My bamboo pens and stamp cutting tools arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to playing with them! The book is one I'm reading for the Goodreads Challenge. It was written by Troy Brewer who is the pastor of the church in Texas where Jordan used to be worship leader.
 The grandgirls are out of watercolors, so I picked up a new set at Walmart.
 And, you guys, I couldn't believe what I found at the thrift store right next to the knitting needles! A set of Susan Branch alphabet stamps!! The package is still sealed, and I'm hoping they're all there. I realize that I'm going to be making my own stamps, but a full alphabet like this would take FOREVER to make, and hers have a lot of personality. ;)


 I had fun recounting my day to Micah as we picked Audrey up from school. That's what I miss most being by myself. Someone to share my day with. I feel very blessed to have Micah, and now my little group of deli friends to meet with. (I'm going to have to think of something else to call them. Gotta leave the deli behind!) Oh, and I'm VERY thankful for those of you who come here to listen to me rattle on!

So, that was my very pleasant day and I'm grateful to God for all of these blessings!

I think we have a warming trend after tonight. Yay! Hopefully that was our shot of extreme cold weather for this winter and things can average out a little.

Shalom for now and have a nice evening!

4 comments:

  1. Oh such lovely finds, especially the Susan Branch letters and numbers!! Nice that you had a great day; and nice that you have your sweet daughter to share your joys with.
    I'm glad your weather is warming up a bit. Ours is supposed to as well and I for one will be so glad to see the ice go ( I'm so afraid of slipping and falling).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year Lisa, your posts dont show in my reading list so I have missed a few. It's great that you have a deli girl get together, i have a similar arrangement with girls who lef' my workplace too we call ourselves 'Ladies that lunch and meet at various pubs every month or three for lunch, hope your group keeps going. You were so lucky to find the Susan branch letters, hope you have lots of fun creating. Betty x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have great supplies for those long winter evenings! What an encouraging day God arranged for you -- I can't believe those stamps!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you had a good visit with your old friends. I need to be attentive to that too, now that I'm not working. I tend to stay HOME. All your finds look great, but especially those S. Branch stamps - oh my! I would've snatched those up too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)