Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Makin' changes...

I don't mean to go on and on about my allergy thing, but I thought some of this might be helpful for someone else somewhere along the line. I've decided to start following a "way of eating" (I hate the word diet) that includes as many anti-inflammatory foods as possible. This is a good idea for everyone; I'm just more motivated since feeling so lousy! I've, actually, been trying to eat healthy for some time, but then I start sliding off the wagon and drinking pop, eating at McDonald's, keeping junk food around the house. You know. If this anti-inflammatory diet will make me feel better I'm ready to do it!

I just had a smoothie containing kale, super blend (broc., cauli, carrots, brussels sprouts, etc. shredded in a bag. I get it at Walmart.), a small banana, orange juice, 1 T. non-fat dry milk, probably a T. of oatmeal, turmeric (a sprinkle), 1/4 of an apple, and a little lemon juice. Basically, stuff I already had around the house that was on the "okay to eat" list. It was green and chewy, but drinkable. I know it probably isn't possible, but it seems like I could feel my body cooling down as I drank it! I also took a garlic capsule.

Anyway, I got my list of foods from WebMD. Here's the link. I could have searched through multiple sites, but knowing myself well, I decided to just stick with this resource. If things get too complex I have a hard time sticking with it. This is just common sense stuff we've all seen before. I just needed to refamiliarize myself with the rules. So, I'm throwing out the sugar, processed foods, etc. I don't have a ton, so that's good.

I'm learning that I have to make more of an effort to take care of myself as I get older. I can't keep giving into those gluttonous urges to binge on junk. It comes back to bite me! I have an appointment on Monday to see the doctor again and let him do a blood draw to check other things. He mentioned wanting to check for something that had the word lupus in it. I'm not expecting that to be positive, nope. But I also don't want to be irresponsible and do nothing. If I feel a whole lot better by Monday I may cancel, but for now that's the plan. I'm not itchy right now, but I feel "puffy" in the face and neck, although I don't really look puffy. My blood pressure was higher than usual at my last doctor visit, but hopefully the dietary change will take care of that.

I've also been trying to remember to focus more on the Lord when I'm not feeling well. It always helps to remove any fear. And allergic reactions can be fear inducing! It really brings home the fact that we are completely dependent on Him for our next breath and heartbeat. Any feelings of self-sufficiency and independence go down the tubes when your health fails and you feel vulnerable. It makes me so grateful to know He will never leave me and all will be well.

I just wanted to share the painting I received from another person from our January canvas swap. I repeat. I didn't paint this! :) This gal is a professional, I think. She's from Canada. I just thought it would make a pretty thumbnail for my blog post, lol.
Thanks for dropping by! Have a wonderful rest of your week!
Shalom!

6 comments:

  1. Anti-inflammatory "diet" is always good for everybody, I think. That's how we are eating now and we feel good. Dumping sugar is a really big deal. Except for fruit. All the best to you as you move forward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good "way of eating" - here anti-inflammatory - is a very good idea! Making your heart and mind and thoughts trusting in the Lord is a present from Him. You are blessed! I remember several holy souls, who had a deep trusting in the Lord! He LOVES when we trust in Him! The first present from Him is giving a quiet heart. This is the biggest wonder. Waiting for next news from your healthy condition with love and best wishes from Dori

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to the WebMD link and read what it said. All very sensible advice. It shouldn't take long before you feel much better. Keep us informed please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's hard to make these changes hey? I am working on this sort of thing too. Please do go to the doctor, it's better to check things out so you can cross them off the worry list. Otherwise it can nag at you and who needs a longer worry list!?! I pray for peace for you. God loves you and is with you! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good girl! I know what you mean. Our health is fragile but HE is strong! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you, Lisa! i hope it makes a big difference, and that your allergy symptoms go away. That way of eating is good for your, regardless. BTW - I add some of Adam's homemade plain yogurt to my smoothies. it adds yummy flavor and moisture, plus it's good for the gut.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)