Sunday, January 21, 2018

Trip to the E.R.

I know. Sounds exciting, right? I'm glad it was fairly boring and uneventful. I was having some allergic symptoms such as a swollen tongue and numb lips. When I started to go to bed at about ten o'clock I felt a little anxious, like, "Is it a good idea to go to sleep with this going on?" So, I called up my dear daughter to see if she would drive me to town to get it checked into. Adam was still out working on their barn (they're putting heat in it and it's almost finished) so he came in to be with the kids and Micah came over and picked me up. She got to sit in the car for about 1-1/2 hours, because nothing is ever quick at the ER! With all the flu going around I didn't want her sitting in there exposed for no reason. She managed a quick trip to the grocery store and McDonalds, and then played on her phone, so it was kind of a vacation for her, I think, lol.

The NP prescribed a five day course of steroids along with Benadryl as needed. I'm going to call my regular doctor tomorrow and see if the steroids are a bit of overkill. The Benadryl might just be enough by itself, and with the looooong list of side effects on the steroids (Methylprednisolone) I'd rather not take them if I don't need to.

I couldn't think of anything particular that I've eaten that was different in the last few days, but then I thought of strawberry jam. I've had reactions to strawberry flavored things in the past (yogurt and a strawberry shake). That's been many years ago, but I've avoided most strawberry stuff. I just started using the jam again recently. So, I'll try cutting that out. Also frozen strawberries in my smoothies. Of course, I already ate some jam this morning before I figured this out.

In other news, I did some painting and stamp carving yesterday!
I tried to do a very "loose" painting of this little group of under ripe plums from a picture in one of my art books. Being loose with my painting has always been a challenge. I always outline things and fill them in completely, and I really prefer the looser look. I guess both are okay. Just different. Anyway, here's my attempt.

I also made this little bunch of "inchies". They don't have a home yet, but they are ready for a Blind Inchie swap. I claimed some inchies that another player had made and then offered my inchies to whomever wants them. When someone claims them they'll get mailed off. They have to accept whatever theme you've made, which I like. This way I can make them at my leisure without a deadline. They're a little harder to see in the packaging, but I didn't want to unpack everything.

Here are some more stamps I made. Some need a little trimming, but mostly I leave them looking kind of rough. I like that look. ;) I made the "plumhill" stamp backwards accidentally, then cut it up so I could use the little "sun rise" effect around the edges by itself. I also used the other side to make stamps. Clear as mud? (Plumhill is my user name on the ATC site. I'll try again on this stamp so I have something to stamp my name on the back of my cards.)
A button and some "sunrise" like stamps I rescued from the botched plumhill stamp.

I did trim that excess on the exclamation point.

Plants and suns. (Or flowers?)
 The painting below I made from a video I paused. I've been watching lots of "Rosemary and Thyme" murder mysteries on YouTube and they always take place in picturesque locations. Lots of good painting material!
Well, I'll just be taking it easy today. (What's new?) I hope you'll all have a restful Sunday, as well!
God bless you every one and shalom! :)

7 comments:

  1. wonder if it is Red 40 that is the problem. I hope you are better soon and think it's wise to double check with your doc RE steroids - they take bone mass from bones and as we get older, that is nothing to mess around with. God bless you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it's only strawberries you might have an allergic reaction to. Hopefully the Benadryl will be all you need to take.
    I must look up some of those Rosemary & Thyme videos on You Tube. I used to watch them on TV and enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, I hope it is the strawberries and nothing more serious. You have wisdom about the steroids. Love those stamps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be well soon dear Lisa ~ hope it's nothing more than a reaction to strawberries.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. Something like that happened to me once; my lip swelled up and then the swelling and redness spread up one side of my nose... then it all went away within an hour or two. I had not eaten or drunk anything different *except* a new type of tea, which was a flavored rooibos. I avoided rooibos for a couple of years and then reintroduced it, because it seemed like one of the least likely foods to be a problem. Nothing similar has ever happened to me again, so I decided it was something introduced into the product in the teabag, perhaps.

    I'm glad you didn't go to bed without treatment! Any "event" like that anywhere near the throat is not to be ignored. God bless you, Dear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry about the ER visit! But you're better safe than sorry when the swelling is anywhere near your throat :( Bummer about the strawberries!!!
    Your stamps are GREAT!! I love the flowers and suns one. Those are quite good. Now you're making me want to add ONE MORE THING to my list of hobbies, haha!!! Get better :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh - I meant to say, I like your plum painting. You and I both like that loose look. I think that type of painting leaves more to the imagination of the viewer, you know? I like that. I also struggle with not over detailing my work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)