Monday, January 15, 2018

My new passion!

Who knew that erasers could be so exciting?
I finally got down to some serious stamp carving today, and once I started I couldn't stop! Several people online had recommended this brand of eraser for stamp carving. Magic Rub erasers. So, I dutifully ordered a box full from Amazon. I found them very hard to carve. It's easy to slip and cut yourself when you have to exert too much pressure on the carving tool, so I had to develop my technique to avoid holes in my fingers. But they worked okay once I got used to them.
 I also have some of these erasers which I bought at Walmart. These are really soft and nice to carve. I'll probably just use these once the others are gone. I may also order some larger sheets of carving material so I can do larger images. This was just a test to see if I really enjoyed carving stamps. I DO! Larger images would be good for stamping on greeting card size surfaces.
After my first attempt I was hooked!

Fortunately for me, the rustic look is trending in the stamp world. Ha ha! Actually, I've always loved the rustic look. They look more like old wood cuts. I did finally trim around the edges to get rid of a lot of those extra lines.
One thing led to another...
a wonky tree
a leaf

That was supposed to be another crow on the right, but it looks more like a pigeon...

owl, mushroom, house...
moons and stars...
a skinny house.
Here are all the stamps I made today.

Some I carved on both sides.
What will I do with them? These are a good size to use on ATC's. But maybe I'll make some to illustrate a book? I could even use this size if it was a tiny book. There are lots of fun possibilities! One thing I like about stamp carving is that it's something I can do in my lap without needing to use the computer for a reference photo. I use a large hardback book under a stiff, plastic notebook divider. It works well, and the book insures that I don't poke myself.

Well, enough of that for now! Maybe some reading for a change of pace?

Almost forgot! Here's my finished 6x6 canvas for the January canvas swap! I think the flying saucer is swooping down to pick him up for the work commute.


Keep up the good blogging, gals! I sure do enjoy looking in on your lives! I hope warmer weather is coming down the pike for everyone. Ours will climb a few degrees. Spring is on the way! :)

Shalom and love to all!


9 comments:

  1. How lovely that you found such fun carving stamps. It's nice to know you're being careful not to cut yourself in the process. The rustic stamped images are great, I especially like the leaf one. Many years ago my oldest daughter made a leaf stamp out of a large potato and stamped my white plastic garbage can with leaves. Seems to me she used paint, not stamp pads though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I forgot to comment!! I love these! what neat stamps! you have created such lovely ones!!! You can make such fun cards that way! :) you make such lovely things!!! God bless you dear blog friend and may your day be peaceful and bright today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I really love your stamps. They are perfectly imperfect and that's what is so good about them! I would use them on letters, cards, on notes, you could make magnets with the stamps, use them in your sketchbook and in your art. Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. VERY fun! I saw a cool eraser on a Creative Bug class (online) that was real moldable and squishy. Need!

    ReplyDelete
  5. VERY beautiful stamps you made! VERY GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful!! Once my older children and I made stamps from linoleum blocks and then printed Christmas cards with them. They were not older than 10 and their designs were very simple but just perfect for that medium. We had so much fun, and it was awfully satisfying. I wanted to do it again, but never did!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is something I have never tried. When I see something new I want to dive right in. I think I keep Amazon afloat.
    I will have to stick with my sketchbook, paints and colours for now. I just stocked up on a bunch of new products. Thing is I see something new then spend money and get stuff and then again I get side tracked. It's a disease I think.? ............Janice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Lisa! You really have mastered the art of stamp carving! This is amazing. I love the bird best but all of them are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear your thoughts! :)